LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Motorcycle Carrier Concerns

Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
rwilsond is on a distinguished road
rwilsond's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle Carrier Concerns

I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-Cab V6 Auto-5-speed, short-bed, with a factory tow-package (Class IV). I would like to use a motorcycle carrier supported solely from the hitch. But one of the large manufacturers of these carriers tells me that I'm limited to only 280 pounds of carrying capacity (due to the "leverage"). Actually, it's not a limitation on the carrier itself, but on the truck. The carrier manufacturer states that their carriers would place too much torque on my truck, via the hitch. My bike weighs 350 pounds dry; but I would like to carry a 550-pound bike occasionally.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this, or data to the contrary?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
what they're saying is definitely a valid concern. I don't know about the actual numbers though.

There are other options though. if you don't have to go far, you can let the rear wheel roll with a product like this http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/caddy1.html but I would rather use a dedicated motorcycle trailer.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
falco is on a distinguished road

falco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about purchasing a Vera Haul motorcycle carrier from a local rack store. The employee says I should be fine, but I'm not sure. I have a 2006 Tacoma with suspension TSB completed and a 2003 Honda VFR800a (450 pounds). Anyone have personal experience or an opinion?

Here is the unit:
http://www.racknroad.com/versa-haul-...-vh-55-ro.html
Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a Vera Haul motorcycle carrier from a local rack store. The employee says I should be fine, but I'm not sure. I have a 2006 Tacoma with suspension TSB completed and a 2003 Honda VFR800a (450 pounds). Anyone have personal experience or an opinion?

Here is the unit:
http://www.racknroad.com/versa-haul-...-vh-55-ro.html
You've got the TSB- But do you have the tow package??
You need the Class IV hitch-cause that'll give you the tounge weight capacity -
And I'm going to guess that isn't a light piece of gear.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
falco is on a distinguished road

falco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4 banger with factory tow package installed. Is the tongue weight the same for the 4 and 6 cylinder?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco View Post
I have a 4 banger with factory tow package installed. Is the tongue weight the same for the 4 and 6 cylinder?
Not sure- but in your Owners Manual there should be a section out GVWRs and tow capacity and what not- Take a look in there for what you can handle.

I'd imagine it's prolly about 600lbs (roughly 10% of your max weight rating)
- but I'm not sure.