Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Horn started blowing on its own

Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
jimmy is on a distinguished road
jimmy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy
Angry Horn started blowing on its own

A couple weeks ago the horn on my 03 tacoma started blowing.as i walked to the truck it stopped,then started,then stopped ,then started.then stopped. I opened hood and took battery cable off.before it got dark i put cable back on and raised windows but i forgot to take the cable back off.so soon as i went inside it started blowing again.by time i got dressed and outside several minutes had passed and it stopped before i got hood up, but i took cable off battery anyway.next time i wanted to drive the truck i put cable back on and took off driving,no horn!!!press horn button and no horn. I was walking into business front door up town and horn blew 3 times and has never worked again.today i took one of the horns off and hooked a test wire to it,grounded the horn and touched the test wire to battery, it only clicks.this truck has no alarm bytheway. Relay clicks which i read is located in the body ecu.i guess both horns are burnt out.AIR BAG LITE GOES OUT WHEN TRUCK IS STARTED SO I WILL ASSUME THAT IS OK.
Any info on this problem would be great.i would hate to replace the horns and this happen again!!! jhowell61@gmail.com
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure that your truck does not have a after market alarm?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
What?
danbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud ofdanbow has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
danbow's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, but I gotta laugh at this one!

I had an '85 S10 Blazer that had a horn problem like that, but it would only seem to go off randomly whenever i was stopped at a stoplight around a bunch of people... I got some really funny looks.

My issue was a bad wire.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your shit is haunted bro.

You could always rip out the stock horn and run a secondary just for inspection purposes, not sure of the regulations in Mississippi.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have a bad horn switch. It is probably stuck. It's under the airbag in the middle of the steering wheel. You can test the plug with a multi-meter by inserting the red lead into the plug, then grounding the black lead on the NEG battery terminal or the frame. If it shows the 12V without pressing the horn, the switch is stuck.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sounds like you have a bad horn switch. It is probably stuck. It's under the airbag in the middle of the steering wheel. You can test the plug with a multi-meter by inserting the red lead into the plug, then grounding the black lead on the NEG battery terminal or the frame. If it shows the 12V without pressing the horn, the switch is stuck.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the switch to me as well.

on a side note, this reminds me of an old April fools joke I pulled on a friend of mine. Hook the horn to the brake signal. everytime he stood on the brake, the horn was constantly blowing.

Another one is to jump to the turn signal...... honk, honk, honk.

Great times

Hope you get it taken care of

Justin
Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Just remember you have a bomb loaded and ready to go off in that steering wheel! I'm pretty sure a multi-meter won't set off the airbag if you poke the wrong wire, but I would not bet my life on it. There are airbag safe test probes sold for this reason. A standard test light will set the bag off! Be really careful dude! If it were me I would do my troubleshooting from the horn relay socket. You should be able to test everything from there with a wiring diagram and someone to press the horn button for you.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Just remember you have a bomb loaded and ready to go off in that steering wheel! I'm pretty sure a multi-meter won't set off the airbag if you poke the wrong wire, but I would not bet my life on it. There are airbag safe test probes sold for this reason. A standard test light will set the bag off! Be really careful dude! If it were me I would do my troubleshooting from the horn relay socket. You should be able to test everything from there with a wiring diagram and someone to press the horn button for you.
I was referring tho the horn plug in the engine bay, not the horn switch.