1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having some wiring trouble installing powered shifter knob, please help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by akjone02, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    akjone02

akjone02 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Capital Region NY
    So as my first interior mod I picked up a powered shifter knob which has LEDs in the top of it. I'm having some trouble with it though and I'm sure I've done something basic and stupid. My knowledge of wiring comes from installing a few outlets and ceiling fans in a very old house :)
    [​IMG]

Following the instructions that come with the product tells me to hook one wire up to a power source (they specifically recommend a cord that runs to a cigarette lighter so that it will be off when the car is off) and the other end to a ground.
    [​IMG]
    What I did was pull the cigarette lighter out and tie the shifter knob wire into the black and white wire running to the lighter. To the other wire, the green one, I attached the black ground wire from the shifter knob.

The good news is that the cigarette lighter still works. The bad news is that the shifter is not powering up. Anyone know what silly mistake I've made? (btw, I intend to clean up that electrical tape, I was just doing that so I didn't short anything while I tested my wiring).

[​IMG]

2. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    First try switching the wires.

3. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    akjone02

akjone02 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Capital Region NY
    You guys had it exactly right, wires were backwards, boy is my face red, lol. Still, happy to hear I wasn't messing up fundamental properties of electricity or anything. Or I suppose in a way I was :)

Thanks!

4. Aug 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yep, LED = Light Emitting Diode for anyone who does not know. Diode is a one way valve. DC power will only go through a diode one way. Glad you got it fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top