LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Having some wiring trouble installing powered shifter knob, please help

Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
akjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Andy
akjone02's Tacoma Gallery
Having some wiring trouble installing powered shifter knob, please help

So as my first interior mod I picked up a powered shifter knob which has LEDs in the top of it. I'm having some trouble with it though and I'm sure I've done something basic and stupid. My knowledge of wiring comes from installing a few outlets and ceiling fans in a very old house

Following the instructions that come with the product tells me to hook one wire up to a power source (they specifically recommend a cord that runs to a cigarette lighter so that it will be off when the car is off) and the other end to a ground.

What I did was pull the cigarette lighter out and tie the shifter knob wire into the black and white wire running to the lighter. To the other wire, the green one, I attached the black ground wire from the shifter knob.

The good news is that the cigarette lighter still works. The bad news is that the shifter is not powering up. Anyone know what silly mistake I've made? (btw, I intend to clean up that electrical tape, I was just doing that so I didn't short anything while I tested my wiring).

Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
First try switching the wires.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
akjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the roughakjone02 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Andy
akjone02's Tacoma Gallery
You guys had it exactly right, wires were backwards, boy is my face red, lol. Still, happy to hear I wasn't messing up fundamental properties of electricity or anything. Or I suppose in a way I was

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, LED = Light Emitting Diode for anyone who does not know. Diode is a one way valve. DC power will only go through a diode one way. Glad you got it fixed.