So as my first interior mod I picked up a powered shifter knob which has LEDs in the top of it. I'm having some trouble with it though and I'm sure I've done something basic and stupid. My knowledge of wiring comes from installing a few outlets and ceiling fans in a very old house
Following the instructions that come with the product tells me to hook one wire up to a power source (they specifically recommend a cord that runs to a cigarette lighter so that it will be off when the car is off) and the other end to a ground.
What I did was pull the cigarette lighter out and tie the shifter knob wire into the black and white wire running to the lighter. To the other wire, the green one, I attached the black ground wire from the shifter knob.
The good news is that the cigarette lighter still works. The bad news is that the shifter is not powering up. Anyone know what silly mistake I've made? (btw, I intend to clean up that electrical tape, I was just doing that so I didn't short anything while I tested my wiring).