Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Fog Lights anytime I want

Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Fog Lights anytime I want

I too don't like Toyota limiting me when I can run my fog lights. So I found the thread on ToyotaNation that shows just how easy it is to modify the relay. I now can run my fog lights anytime I have the ignition on.

Here is the thread, it is many pages and offers several variables on how to do this.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...t=79485&page=1

Here is how I did mine. The fuse is a 3 amp fuse. I was going to go with 5 but didn't have a spare. I'm going to get one later today. Also I'm probably going to switch to this method. My pic to come later, stupid work filters...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Oh, and for the record the method you posted apparently turns the fogs on for a few minutes after you turn the engine off. In 2 years mine have never done that with the way I did it.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Oh, and for the record the method you posted apparently turns the fogs on for a few minutes after you turn the engine off. In 2 years mine have never done that with the way I did it.
mine either.....plus your way took me like 2 minutes to do the mod!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I've already had a neighbor call and tell me my fog lights were on.

I'll take another look at your mod.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
Yep, I've already had a neighbor call and tell me my fog lights were on.

I'll take another look at your mod.

Thanks
hey man, its really easy, and the lights, as far as i have seen, never come on,on their own. great mod indeed.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
mine either.....plus your way took me like 2 minutes to do the mod!!!
Hey guys - what is the best type of quick connect to use to splice into the green wire? Or did you cut and re-splice?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Hey guys - what is the best type of quick connect to use to splice into the green wire? Or did you cut and re-splice?
i used one of the blue quick connects....the type you put the wire thru the back side, close it, then slide the connecting wire thru the side, then use a pair of pliers to push the metal piece down thru both wires. i call them alligator clips, or quick splices.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
This is what I use. Just get a pack of them where ever's cheap. lol I'm starting to put liquid electrical tape around them now to seal out moisture since the road salt corrodes wires real bad here in NY.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
This is what I use. Just get a pack of them where ever's cheap. lol I'm starting to put liquid electrical tape around them now to seal out moisture since the road salt corrodes wires real bad here in NY.

same thing i use there.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Do these wrap around the wire you are tapping into or do you need to cut that wire? Sorry to keep asking
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Do these wrap around the wire you are tapping into or do you need to cut that wire? Sorry to keep asking
the wire you are splicing into goes into the open channel in the back, then you use a piece of wire thru the side of the connector, then clamp down on the metal piece. then you are done.