Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Check Engine light Question

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Check Engine light Question

Hey peeps,

My check Engine light came on early this morning while I was heading off to work. So when I got home I flipped threw the manual and followed what might be causing it such as checking the fugal cap. However the light stayed on. So I jumped on here and found out from you guys that I could go get the codes checked for free at Autozone.

Anyway, before I started getting ready to head off to Autozone something possessed me to disconnect the battery while I went to go get showered off. Well a long story short- I reconnected the battery and now the check light is no longer lit. Now I know what you might be thinking, and wondering what I might be worried about then. Well other then checking the Fuel cap I didn't do anything else to fix what may have created the malfunction.

Do you guys have any idea what it could have been causing the check engine light to indicate a malfunction? Might I of screwed up the computer by reseting it leaving me with no codes to get checked out, or would the computer still show me a malfunction if there was still an issue. I just hope it wont come back to bite me later on.

Maybe all this worry is all for nothing and whatever it is is now somehow corrected, I just would like to know of your thoughts and advice you might have.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
do you have any mods done to ur truck?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
are you positive its the check engine light and not the service engine soon light??? just wondering.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
That I do, I have a Flowmaster 40 muffler put in. None other then that though.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
are you positive its the check engine light and not the service engine soon light??? just wondering.
IT is... Well was the check engine light lol
Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
IT is... Well was the check engine light lol
hmmm.....not sure then. if it comes on again......get autozone to pull the codes and we can go from there.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to side note that I forgot to mention, was that I noticed that my engine coolent level was very low ( pretty far below the low level mark in the reservor) could that may have been a cause the warning light? I havn't filled it up though, but I'll for sure be doing this as soon as I head back into town.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
when was the last time u got service on ur truck?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hmmm.....not sure then. if it comes on again......get autozone to pull the codes and we can go from there.
Yeah, I believe you are probably right. I think I am just being a bit over protective over my new baby lol. If it happens to come back on again I'll just do that.

Thanks a ton though!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
Yeah, I believe you are probably right. I think I am just being a bit over protective over my new baby lol. If it happens to come back on again I'll just do that.

Thanks a ton though!
What year truck and how many miles?