1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hill start assist sucks... why?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DevL, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hill start assist. It functions by allowing you to stop on an upward angle, take foot off the brake and transfer it to gas, all without the truck moving. This allows you to more carefully maneuver without having both feet on the gas and brake at the same time.

So I tried it on a 40-45 degree incline yesterday. It starts the hill start tone (which lets you know it will hold for 5 seconds) aand the whole time the vehicle is moving backwards... very slowly, but its moving backaward at like half a mile per hour. If I had really needed it to work that could have cost me position as I could have dropped back off a precarious rock or something... so why does the system suck at holding you in place?

On the flip side the DAC works really well. It sometimes does not come on for a foot or two but once its on it does not fail to keep speed at 3mph or less on steep drops or even on flat ground after ther drop. Made several 45 degree decents with no brakes or gas... pretty cool.

2. Jan 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    just found a super steep and tried this on my 2013 tacoma

stopped on steep hill, let off brake, truck rolled back about 6 inches then the dash board light lit up and hear the brake controller engaging (sounded like abs engaging) and it chattered a bit, and held me, but then let off, I crept back a few inches, repeat. it kept holding, chattering, holding, chattering....

so yes it does hold you then it lets you roll back slowly (I was on a steep paved utility road with some sand on it)

but it is not rock solid 100% 'you are not moving backward at all', it is more like '
    I am gonna hold you a little bit and let you creep backward until you give it some gas'

3. Jan 20, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    It's not designed to keep you from falling off a rock, it's designed to let a poor driver not back into the car behind them at a stop light or do a burnout flinging rocks behind them to keep from stalling.

Products Discussed in

To Top