LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How waterproof is my Key (2011 Tacoma)

Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
limeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the rough
Name: Nick
limeyx's Tacoma Gallery
How waterproof is my Key (2011 Tacoma)

This may be a weird question.

I have a 2011 Tacoma. I go scuba diving, and usually tuck the car key into my glove.

However my old car was a 2001 and the key was not fancy.

if I try to take my Tacoma key into the ocean like that, am I going to ruin it ?

Nick
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
BBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud of

Name: Brent
BBiggs's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno about that. It is sealed, obviously, but when you're on even a shallow 30 foot dive there's still a lot of pressure, and a chance of seepage. And each key has the immobilizer hardware inside it. I personally wouldn't do it.

I'm sure it would end up okay, but I wouldn't. You don't bring a little waterproof box?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
limeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the rough
limeyx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBiggs View Post
You don't bring a little waterproof box?
I may have to from now on
Old 08-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
All OEM All Japanese All The Time!
Taco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco2K10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Taco2K10's Tacoma Gallery
silicone spray it and go for it or some sort of shrinkwrap
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with a pelican box to be safe...
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
JoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura about

JoeyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Could you keep a ziplock bag in one of your scuba pockets and make that your key pocket and slip your key into the ziplock bag before you dive?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Rusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rusty White Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get a second key made - just a basic key without the immobilizer chip in it and take that one with you in the water. Hide your good key in the locked truck. My brother does that with his 08 taco when we surf...
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
limeyx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
I'd go with a pelican box to be safe...
Actually, I am getting a camper shell, so maybe I will get a mech key for that and can lock the truck keys in the bed.

Dragging a box underwater is a pain.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
JoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura about

JoeyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Actually, I am getting a camper shell, so maybe I will get a mech key for that and can lock the truck keys in the bed.

Dragging a box underwater is a pain.
That is what I do for snowboarding.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
suitcase it
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
You can install a lockable box in the truck bed and store the vehicle key in there, and take the box key when diving. It's a tad expensive but looks very secure.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-235-1...y-lockbox.aspx
Old 08-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
mike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmike686 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
mike686's Tacoma Gallery
I personally would not do it will leak into the crack seperating the two pieces sometime now or later
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
limeyx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You can install a lockable box in the truck bed and store the vehicle key in there, and take the box key when diving. It's a tad expensive but looks very secure.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-235-1...y-lockbox.aspx
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty White Taco View Post
I'd get a second key made - just a basic key without the immobilizer chip in it and take that one with you in the water. Hide your good key in the locked truck. My brother does that with his 08 taco when we surf...
BINGO. Plain key will open the door just fine.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
BBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud ofBBiggs has much to be proud of

Name: Brent
BBiggs's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. There's a plan. Keep it in your console until dive time, then switch it out with your good one and go. Order a blank key on ebay for not very many dollars, then take it to any locksmith. Prooooblem Sooooolved!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike686 View Post
I personally would not do it will leak into the crack seperating the two pieces sometime now or later
Looking at my key closely, there doesn't seem to be a crack between the two pieces. It looks more like a parting line from an injection mold. There is even a knock-out pin indentation near the base of the key blade. I think TRW molded the plastic over the key blade and the security chip.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had spare keys made. The locksmith messed one of them up, so I cut it open to see where the chip was and what it looked like. It was a royal pain to get to, I don't think you will have any issues taking it in the water. The rubber looks like it's pretty much bonded around the chip.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBiggs View Post
I dunno about that. It is sealed, obviously, but when you're on even a shallow 30 foot dive there's still a lot of pressure, and a chance of seepage. And each key has the immobilizer hardware inside it. (if you have the V6 engine) I personally wouldn't do it. (unless you own a 4 cyl)

I'm sure it would end up okay, but I wouldn't. You don't bring a little waterproof box?
Edited above quote and placed in bold. Good info thread but just to clarify for those searching in the future....if anyone still does that.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What is there to damage in the key? That little chip is basically like a RF ID tag isn't it? If it's not electronic, what will the water do to hurt it? Eventually salt could corrode it if it gets into the key part but that would take quite a while. Am I missing something about our keys?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Have somebody bury it and make a treasure map then you'll never get water damage lol

ARG!