Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Ammonia smell from exhaust????

Old 06-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
onex23 is on a distinguished road

onex23's Tacoma Gallery
Ammonia smell from exhaust????

I'm backing my truck into the garage and my daughter says something really stinks! I think it's just the usual exhaust smell but since the truck is so long and my garage is on the short side I have to get out to make sure I get close enough to the back wall so the garage door will shut and I get hit with an overwhelming smell of AMMONIA. I sniffed the floor, the tires, between the bed and cab, even walked around the garage sniffing random spots in the air. Smell seemed to go away. Back in the truck to inch closer to the wall and she yells that I'm close enough and that she smells it again. I get out and, yep, it's there again so this time I smell the tail pipe. Ammonia. I saw on a Nissan forum that they are smelling it from their trucks but I didn't see anything on here. So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen of if anyone knows what it might be. I hate going to the dealership to try and get answers about this sort of thing..... lot's of smoke blowing from them usually. Anyways.... thanks for any help/advise/whatever.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, never happened to me. What station did you fill up last? I'm assuming you didn't put any additional detergents/boosters in the fuel?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw!! how many miles are on your truck?? it could be just that the catalytic converters are making the smell, as they are breaking in. it should clear up pretty quickly though. what kind of gas do you run??
Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TacomaWorld!

I never noticed anything like that when my truck was new but I pull into the garage and the exhaust never gets contained enough for me to have smelled it.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
welcome to tw!! how many miles are on your truck?? it could be just that the catalytic converters are making the smell, as they are breaking in. it should clear up pretty quickly though. what kind of gas do you run??
Yep. The catalytic converters have a residue in them that will cook out over the first 4,000 to 5,000 miles. Also, many of the dealers will "detail" your vehicle before you get it. Some of the chemicals they use get on the engine, radiator, and exhaust. These chemicals will cook off in time, but for now they will stink to high hell.

My 2007 PreRunner 2.7L had this problem for months. Same thing was true of my wife's 2006 RAV4. My 2008 PreRunner 4.0L hasn't had this problem of noticeable stance. I think this has mostly to do with the fact it doesn't fit in the garage, and therefore it guards the front of the house...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
onex23 is on a distinguished road

onex23's Tacoma Gallery
My gas is 87oct from Chevron and I have about 3300 miles. I did see an article on cnn.com that was saying that the cats are causing the ammonia smell, something about cleaning too well. I have a dealership a couple of miles down the road so I guess I'll swing by there on Monday. Thanks for the responses.