Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Diff Drop Install Question

Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Diff Drop Install Question

I am going to be installing a diff drop on my 96 Tacoma, In the instuctions it says torque the differential bolts back down to spec, but I dont have anything but simple tools so will it be a problem if I torque them down as much as I can without straining myself and call it good? Any help from someone who has done this would be much appreciated.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
After you get it back together, go down to your local autozone or checker and borrow a torque wrench to tighten it up to spec.

On 2001-2004, the Diff front mounting cushion to frame gets torqued down to 101 ft lbs. Not sure on your year and kinda too lazy to look it up, but I would guess its pretty much similar. Personally, 101 ft lbs is a bit on the heavy side to just be guessing it and you'll probably be hard pressed to get that much from a standard length socket wrench.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
After you get it back together, go down to your local autozone or checker and borrow a torque wrench to tighten it up to spec.

On 2001-2004, the Diff front mounting cushion to frame gets torqued down to 101 ft lbs. Not sure on your year and kinda too lazy to look it up, but I would guess its pretty much similar. Personally, 101 ft lbs is a bit on the heavy side to just be guessing it and you'll probably be hard pressed to get that much from a standard length socket wrench.
Alright thanks alot
Old 08-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

Ya Im going to use locktite, I wish I had a air impact haha that would make it alot quicker.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Where can i find the correct torque specs for the diff bolts?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
Ya Im going to use locktite, I wish I had a air impact haha that would make it alot quicker.

Where can i find the correct torque specs for the diff bolts?
It should be in one of the FSM for your truck. http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

(btw, impact wrenches are fantastic for removing bolts, but very poor for putting them back on due to high torque and hammering effect. It's very easy to over tighten a bolt with the impact wrench, so just dont do it. Always use a torque wrench to put bolts back on.)