Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

09 Tacoma Rear Window Gasket Gunk

Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
JProphett is on a distinguished road
Name: Jean
JProphett's Tacoma Gallery
Question 09 Tacoma Rear Window Gasket Gunk

Any others having issue with outside rear window seal/gasket having some sort of 'gunk' that seems to be growing on it? Will not wash off. Gasket seems to be deteriorating.

Took truck in for 30,000 mile service today and asked the tech about it. He said "lots of models have that problem" but didn't offer any reason or solution.

09 Tacoma Extended Cab
In service for less than 24 mths.
Attached Thumbnails
09 Tacoma Rear Window Gasket Gunk-img_0520.jpg  
Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
I have the same thing going on...but, on my side window moldings
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
comatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the rough
comatosed's Tacoma Gallery
I see this on almost all tacoma and they all seem relatively new and in good shape, seems like there isn't enough uv stabilizer whatever they use for that.

I think we should demand something is done about this. TOYOTA IT IS DEFINITELY A PRODUCT DEFECT!

I hope mine gets it before 36k I will raise hell until they replace it.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
i have it on my back windows n i have it on the side window seals
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Thanks for the replys. I've contacted my dealer and asked to have the rear window gasket/seal replaced under warranty. I'll let you know what response I get.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
samhain will become famous soon enoughsamhain will become famous soon enough
Name: Brandon
samhain's Tacoma Gallery
I have it too. I think the only answer is a new rear window.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Dealership responded to my request for warranty replacement

I contacted my dealer and told them I wanted the rear window gasket/seal replaced under warranty. They told me to bring the truck in for them to see exactly which gasket/seal needed to be replaced ( even though they had already seen it and I sent them a detailed description and pictures)

Thus another 90 mile road trip for them to look at it again . They have not yet committed to replacing it under warranty, but I plan to take it in next week and will post results.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, I just checked mine and I don't have this. I typically use a synthetic wax and I do apply it to this strip, not sure if that would make a difference?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
ncfirefighter764 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Jeff
ncfirefighter764's Tacoma Gallery
I am currently having the same issue on my rear glass seal. I have a 2009 Tacoma double cab. I told dealer about it and they said there was nothing they could do. So I called southeast Toyota and complained then the dealer called me 2 days later. The dealer now wants to look at the window again and requested pictures. So this is where I am at with this. I also informed the dealer I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. They said they are not sure if the warranty covers the seal. I am calling BS on that and am waiting for a response after sending the dealer pics earlier today as they requested. Hopefully I get taken care of especially since I have a Tacoma and a highlander in my driveway that I bought from that dealer this year.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfirefighter764 View Post
I am currently having the same issue on my rear glass seal. I have a 2009 Tacoma double cab. I told dealer about it and they said there was nothing they could do. So I called southeast Toyota and complained then the dealer called me 2 days later. The dealer now wants to look at the window again and requested pictures. So this is where I am at with this. I also informed the dealer I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. They said they are not sure if the warranty covers the seal. I am calling BS on that and am waiting for a response after sending the dealer pics earlier today as they requested. Hopefully I get taken care of especially since I have a Tacoma and a highlander in my driveway that I bought from that dealer this year.
I didn't go forward with the issue after taking the truck back to the dealer to inspect it ( a 2nd time)...they told me they would try to get a seal replacement approved under warranty...but I never checked back since I didn't want them taking out the rear windows....in my opinion once they do that it seems to open a can of worms (and leaks).
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
ncfirefighter764 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Jeff
ncfirefighter764's Tacoma Gallery
After 2 weeks if back and forth with Toyota, they are replacing my entire back window and the seal this week.