Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

08 4X4 auto tranny wont shift at all

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
JohnnyRazorhead is on a distinguished road
JohnnyRazorhead's Tacoma Gallery
08 4X4 auto tranny wont shift at all

everything has been great until today. Went out to leave and automatic tranny wont shift at shifter. I tried rocking the truck and every thing i could think of. truck has never been off road or abused. Any ideas or suggestions. Anybody had this problem. My truck is out of warranty so I want to make sure it is not a simple fix. Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Won't shift out of park?

Check the brake light fuse. If it's blown, the trans won't shift out of park when you step on the brake.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
I bet thats it. I just had a new camper shell installed and noticed the light on it is wired wrong last night. (when i step on the brake the camper light gets dimmer instead of brighter). I will check it in the morning. They connected the camper light to the brake light in the back of the bed.

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, that's gotta be it. The high mount brake light shouldn't even be on at all before you step on the brake.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Yep,
Happened to me when my trailer blew the brake light fuse. There a little port on the shifter housing that you can stick a small screw driver blade in to get by the interlock if you don't have a spare fuse. Needless to say, I started carrying some spare fuses after that but have never used any.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Thats great information to have! I'm definitely going to have to invest in some spare fuses.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
my son just unhooked the camper shell wires and put in a new fuse and life is again good!!! thanks for the quick help. I'm sure it saved me a towing fee and probably a hefty bill from the dealership.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Thats great information to have! I'm definitely going to have to invest in some spare fuses.
X2..That got me thinking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRazorhead View Post
my son just unhooked the camper shell wires and put in a new fuse and life is again good!!! thanks for the quick help. I'm sure it saved me a towing fee and probably a hefty bill from the dealership.
That's why TW ROCKS, Quick Help from everyone here!!