Notices

HELP!! can't go into reverse

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
ryanringle is on a distinguished road
Navy: Missile Technician
Name: Ryan
ryanringle's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!! can't go into reverse

I can't go into reverse in my 08 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad. When I put it into reverse, it goes back fine for one maybe two rotations of the wheels, and then the driver side front tire locks up. If i try to go farther in reverse, it just drags my tire. Then when I put it into drive, and turn the wheels a bit, the tire unlocks, and drives normally. What could it be?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
is the caliper loose???
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
Are you sure 4x4 isn't on.
i can back up in 4wd...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
ryanringle is on a distinguished road
Navy: Missile Technician
Name: Ryan
ryanringle's Tacoma Gallery
I thought of the 4wd thing, I went over to a dirt lot a little bit ago, engaged 4hi, and it locked in just fine. then i switched it into 2hi, and drove for a sec, and then put it into reverse. It did the same thing, front wheel locked up, and then wouldn't unlock when I drove straight. when i turned the wheel back and forth, it unlocked the front wheel just fine. I'm taking it to the dealership in the morning, its still under warranty. I just hope they don't say it's due to the bilstein 5100 lift in the front, or the larger than stock tires i have on it.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
The question is, did you get it used or new? It can be a few thing and no you can still move your truck in reverse if its in 4wd..... It can be your gears in your diff might be stripped or you might have your reverse gear striped in your tranny. Your hub bearing might have dirt in it if you went wheeling somewhere. If i were you, just bring it to a shop and let them diagnose the problem for you IMO if i were you i wouldn't try to fix it yourself if its a gearing problem.