Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Speedo Re-calibrator question...

Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Speedo Re-calibrator question...

My appologies in advance, I know very little about these.

A buddy of mine is buying a Tundra, and lifting it a week later (heck yes!) He's been reading a bit on the Tundra forums, and he's been seeing quite a bit about Hypertech speedo re-calibrators. I understand how a re-calibrator functions to bring the speedometer and odometer back to reading correctly, but people on the Tundra forum are claiming that it also alters the shift-points. I'd have a hard time believing this, as I didn't expect that shift-points would be related to speed, so much as RPM/load, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't a re-gear be the only option here?

This becomes a bigger issues on the Tacoma... I really struggle going up the mountain pass with my 285s. If this Hypertech can help, I'd be very interested in picking one up over the alterative of re-gearing.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if the recal unit will change the shift points but your friend's speedometer/odometer must be off a great deal to be worried about the shift points.
That unit is not going to fix your over sized tire/lack of power/regearing problem with you Tacoma. Put some reasonable sized tires on your Taco or regear or get a more powerful/real truck.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... that's funny. I was just sitting in my truck this morning, and can attest to the fact that it is a "real truck."

He'll be puting 305s on his Tundra. I have no idea how far off his speedo will be, and truthfully, that has nothing to do with the question that I have asked.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Next!