Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Mods Gone Bad

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Mods Gone Bad

No this isn't a thread about chris4x4's antics. This is a thread for you to post up failed mods. Maybe it didn't turn out exactly how you imagined it or perhaps it totally blew up in your face and burned all your facial hair off. Let us all share in your misery.

POST AWAY
Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
I'll start.

My puddle lights weren't as waterproof as they said they were and had a catastrophic failure. Blew a couple fuses, thought I got them all but I must have missed one. Quick trip to the dealer and $100 later fuse for the dome light was replaced only to have it blow next time I opened the door. Had to disconnect the aftermarket lights and I'm still in the process of replacing with better quality products.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
slimcubby HID's... burnt out ballast after 2 months and one trip over the rockies
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
not really a fail but any time I plan on working on my truck I can go ahead and double the time i think its gonna take...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I just sent it to live but thought it would be a better place. I know it isn't a taco but it is a total fail
Attached Thumbnails
Mods Gone Bad-imageuploadedbytapatalk.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Thread has my name written all over it!

Don't install important parts upside down.

Tundra Racing's rear disc brake conversion will eat your shocks.

Crawler parts aren't a good idea in the desert.

If your new limiting straps arrive with a layer of dust from too much time sitting on the shelf, be wary.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
slimcubby HID's... burnt out ballast after 2 months and one trip over the rockies
I had a HID come loose and scorched the inside of my headlight. Slim replaced all the components minus the headlight. I'm still happy with the kit though.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Don't install important parts upside down.

Tundra Racing's rear disc brake conversion will eat your shocks.

Crawler parts aren't a good idea in the desert.

If your new limiting straps arrive with a layer of dust from too much time sitting on the shelf, be wary.

LMAO i figured you'd have some goodies.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
LMAO i figured you'd have some goodies.
In that last pic you can see the coil rubbing the shock body because I bent the shaft.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
thought about murdering my front grill etc...tried to pop off the chrome grill, got it like half way off, then decided to put it back on. Broke one of those annoying little cheap plastic clips off
Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

damn, Mike. You have the worst luck with your truck!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #12
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
not really a fail but any time I plan on working on my truck I can go ahead and double the time i think its gonna take...
LMFAO!!! The wifey gets so pissed too lol.
"how long are you going to be working on your truck"
"Oh I only got a couple things to do...maybe an hour or two at the most?"
"Ok see you in five hours"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
thought about murdering my front grill etc...tried to pop off the chrome grill, got it like half way off, then decided to put it back on. Broke one of those annoying little cheap plastic clips off
I've broken so many of those stupid things
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
LMFAO!!! The wifey gets so pissed too lol.
"how long are you going to be working on your truck"
"Oh I only got a couple things to do...maybe an hour or two at the most?"
"Ok see you in five hours"
how true!

"i thought you said it was only gonna be like an hour"?

"well babe, Ive never installed one of those before and It took longer than I thought...and I saved like 300 bucks by doing it myself "
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I've broken so many of those stupid things
Toyota failed when it came to plastic clips :|
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I like this thread!!

I failed at my BHLM, the lenses fogged and they are a milky color now. I was in a rush and didn't let the paint cure
x2 mine had the worst beam quality and finger prints everywhere.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
lp00427 is on a distinguished road
Name: Louis
lp00427's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Toyota failed when it came to plastic clips :|
Replaced my radiator about a month back and broke half of those clips trying to reinstall the grill. Consequence: 2 days with no grille, floppy hood on the interstate and $30 for ten clips! you can buy the damn grill off of ebay for $25... what a joke!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
lp00427 is on a distinguished road
Name: Louis
lp00427's Tacoma Gallery
this would make a good sticky by the way. I love the idea
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
While doing my AAL install (solo in 10* weather) I totally forgot that I had no brakes once I removed the wheels. A while later I am aligning the center pin for the rear axle and getting close to being done when the truck finally got enough of a jerk to roll on the stands.

My leg was under the axle at that moment meaning that I came really close to loosing my leg at the least, and most likely bleeding out in the garage pinned under the truck. Thank god I had "set safety" and had blocks sitting under the frame just in case the jack stands let out.

That was the biggest SNAFU, but it isn't a mod if half the time I wind up getting royally snagged and later bailed out by you kind folks.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
theflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Federale
Name: Tosh
theflyingtosher's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theflyingtosher
I'll try to get a close up of it, but when I was doing my BHLM a small corner of the outer lens melted a bit. I think I set it in the oven w/o paying attention and that piece was actually touching the wall of the oven

Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
While doing my AAL install (solo in 10* weather) I totally forgot that I had no brakes once I removed the wheels. A while later I am aligning the center pin for the rear axle and getting close to being done when the truck finally got enough of a jerk to roll on the stands.

My leg was under the axle at that moment meaning that I came really close to loosing my leg at the least, and most likely bleeding out in the garage pinned under the truck. Thank god I had "set safety" and had blocks sitting under the frame just in case the jack stands let out.

That was the biggest SNAFU, but it isn't a mod if half the time I wind up getting royally snagged and later bailed out by you kind folks.
at least your all right man