Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

A-TRAC: HAVE YOU USED YOURS?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
A-TRAC: HAVE YOU USED YOURS?

1 Yes, a lot, it rocks.
2 Yes, a few times.
3 No, how does it work?
4 A-Trac? I have a CD player, dude!

(this was supposed to be a poll, I clicked that option)
Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
poll? and I dont have it
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Yes I have and it rocks.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Right, if you don't have it then you can't use it... I don't know why the poll feature isn't working, I did click on it... oh well.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
I use it, last time out I purposelessly did not use the locker and was able to do everything I tried.

Sure is nice to engage the locker when necessary though.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Try editing the thread to add a poll.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #7

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I use it, last time out I purposelessly did not use the locker and was able to do everything I tried.

Sure is nice to engage the locker when necessary though.
You bet... the locker now is more of a selling tool... since almost nobody knows what A-TRAC is or can do. Good to have backups and options... so leave the locker on there, but as you have discovered (as I have) the A-TRAC takes you everywhere that used to require the rear locker.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Try editing the thread to add a poll.
I just did (again), there is no poll choice to add. I have done polls on other forums, and as I said, I did click on the poll option here when I tried to post a poll with the thread... oh well, I will figure it out someday (or someone will be kind enough to give the magic answer)!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like California poll You guys spoiled by lack of brutal winters
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
No idea how to use those two bottoms.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltano View Post
No idea how to use those two bottoms.
What 2 buttons?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
What 2 buttons?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Since the A-TRAC is not available on Sport Tacomas, I was not sure why you were responding in this thread... and Off Road Tacomas have buttons the Sport does not.

From what I think I can see in your photo, you are pointing to the VSC OFF button and the RSCA OFF Button...

VSC button (or switch as Toyota calls it) has several functions including:

1) a strong limited slip in 2WD called 'AUTO LSD' by pushing the button quickly (TRAC OFF MODE)

2) open differentials in 2WD or 4WD High by holding the button in for several seconds whiled STOPPED (VSC OFF MODE)

One more push of the button will return you to the normal 'TRAC' mode (lite limited slip in 2WD and strong limited slip in 4WD High Range)

RSCA is 'Roll Sensing Curtain Airbag', and if you are going to do some serious off roading where you vehicle may be at odd angles, you would want to turn it off so it doesn't come on accidentally.

Didn't you get an owner's manual??? Pages 98, 183, 192 cover this.

If you click on my link below you will get more details on the drive modes...
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota makes things difficult.
How bout 2 buttons. lsd and lock.? what more do you need?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Toyota makes things difficult.
How bout 2 buttons. lsd and lock.? what more do you need?
Basically they do... the VSC OFF button controls the limited slip system (TRAC and AUTO LSD) and the A-TRAC button is provides the traction of front and rear lockers in L4.... really an ultra strong LSD that basically locks tire rotation across the axle, with the brakes.

There is in addition the true diff. locker on the rear, as well... a third button.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #17

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I have a sport, this picture is from the internet. Sorry for hacking this thread, I thought that one of those switches was A-trac..
Sorry again and thanks for the explaination David.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea I have a sport, this picture is from the internet. Sorry for hacking this thread, I thought that one of those switches was A-trac..
Sorry again and thanks for the explaination David.
No worries eltano... this is a public forum, and like me, you came here for answers!

I would go to your dealer and get an owner's manual ASAP... You do have TRAC and if you do the 'yellow wire mod', you can get the TRAC to work in L4. It isn't as strong as A-TRAC, but it is way more traction than the front open differential (which is all we have in L4 without A-TRAC).
Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the link to the Yellow Wire Mod (4 Low Trac) for all 4wd, 2009 + Tacomas that are NOT Off Road TRDs (ie. that don't have A-TRAC). This mod gives you limited slip traction (TRAC) when in 4WD Low Range. : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...4low-trac.html
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #20

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks David