1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temp gauge quit

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BAJAJAC, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Jul 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    BAJAJAC

BAJAJAC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA 4X4
    I have an 08 Taco 4x4 extra cab. Today the overhead temperature guage quit. It only displays 75 degrees. The compass feature is still working. Anyone have this prob and possibly a fix??:(

2. Jul 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Sounds like the ambient air temperature sensor came disconnected OR has something clamping the voltage feedback... This should be covered under your warranty provided you have under 36,000 miles.

BTW - Welcome to TW! :thumbsup:

3. Jul 5, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    BAJAJAC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA 4X4
    Thanks for the info! Only 8 K on the truck! I knew that but thought that it might be something I could check out and fix. It is a hardship to take my work Veh. into the agency and let them have it for a week!! This is my 1st. post and want to thank the moderators for the best place to come to w/Taco questions.
    Happy 4th. everyone
    Bajajac

4. Jul 5, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Welcome here :)

5. Jul 5, 2008 at 7:45 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I completely understand your frustrations dealing with the service department. My truck got taken in on Monday for a quick reset of the TPMS sensors, and ended up needing a new one. I was 2 hours late picking up my wife from the airport because I spent 5 hours at the service department.

The above situation is out of the norm though. Usually I will call them ahead of time, tell the the problem and say that I want it fixed while I wait. They can usually get me outta there in an hour or two. I'm not a jerk about it though. I just tell them that I use my truck for work, and down time is not an option (hence I got a Tacoma).

That may help next time you deal with them.

One other thing on the ambient air sensor. If you can find a wiring diagram for it, you can hook it up to 12v power and use a volt meter to measure alternating resistance as it is exposed to different temperatures. However, I really doubt that the sensor is bad. It is more likely that something somewhere was not plugged in all the way. I would drop the console first and check all the connections on the backside. Good luck!

6. Jul 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    BAJAJAC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA 4X4
    Again, Thanks...I will give your advice a try. Is there a good way to get the little cover off w/out damageing the surrounding surfaces? If that fails I will call the DREADED service department. As stated re; reliability of the Taco...this in my 3rd! 03 - 07 07 was totaled in a broadside event. My 07 truck kept me from having my ticket punched!! My wife rides a 04 Corolla that gets 30 mpg! Thanks........Bajajac
    P.S. We use the Taco to haul our toys to Baja Mex. and launch our little alum. fishing boat from sandy beaches.

7. Jul 5, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    The best thing to do is get a plastic pry tool like they use in detail/stereo shops. They are fairly inexpensive ($2-$3).

Sounds like you have quite the luck with Toyotas. Congratulations on your latest one.

Cheers!

8. Jul 6, 2008 at 8:10 AM
    BAJAJAC

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TACOMA 4X4
    "If you believe in miracles" pun; song title!
    Yesterday afternoon the Wife and I left to visit our Daughter in Yucaipa. Would you believe that the temp display came back to normal? Have not the slightest idea why. But won't mess w/it until further failure. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I will check in often for interesting TACOMA facts and help.
    Keep it up....she said :D
    Bajajac

9. Jul 6, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    That's awesome. That really leans me towards believing that it is just a loose connection. I would be willing to bet that 75 is a default reading for testing purposes without the sensor feedback. I am with you - don't mess with a good thing. Good luck with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top