Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Temp gauge quit

Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
BAJAJAC is on a distinguished road
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
Temp gauge quit

I have an 08 Taco 4x4 extra cab. Today the overhead temperature guage quit. It only displays 75 degrees. The compass feature is still working. Anyone have this prob and possibly a fix??
Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Sounds like the ambient air temperature sensor came disconnected OR has something clamping the voltage feedback... This should be covered under your warranty provided you have under 36,000 miles.

BTW - Welcome to TW!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
007tacoma

Thanks for the info! Only 8 K on the truck! I knew that but thought that it might be something I could check out and fix. It is a hardship to take my work Veh. into the agency and let them have it for a week!! This is my 1st. post and want to thank the moderators for the best place to come to w/Taco questions.
Happy 4th. everyone
Bajajac
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome here
Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAJAC View Post
Thanks for the info! Only 8 K on the truck! I knew that but thought that it might be something I could check out and fix. It is a hardship to take my work Veh. into the agency and let them have it for a week!! This is my 1st. post and want to thank the moderators for the best place to come to w/Taco questions.
Happy 4th. everyone
Bajajac
I completely understand your frustrations dealing with the service department. My truck got taken in on Monday for a quick reset of the TPMS sensors, and ended up needing a new one. I was 2 hours late picking up my wife from the airport because I spent 5 hours at the service department.

The above situation is out of the norm though. Usually I will call them ahead of time, tell the the problem and say that I want it fixed while I wait. They can usually get me outta there in an hour or two. I'm not a jerk about it though. I just tell them that I use my truck for work, and down time is not an option (hence I got a Tacoma).

That may help next time you deal with them.

One other thing on the ambient air sensor. If you can find a wiring diagram for it, you can hook it up to 12v power and use a volt meter to measure alternating resistance as it is exposed to different temperatures. However, I really doubt that the sensor is bad. It is more likely that something somewhere was not plugged in all the way. I would drop the console first and check all the connections on the backside. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
007tacoma

Again, Thanks...I will give your advice a try. Is there a good way to get the little cover off w/out damageing the surrounding surfaces? If that fails I will call the DREADED service department. As stated re; reliability of the Taco...this in my 3rd! 03 - 07 07 was totaled in a broadside event. My 07 truck kept me from having my ticket punched!! My wife rides a 04 Corolla that gets 30 mpg! Thanks........Bajajac
P.S. We use the Taco to haul our toys to Baja Mex. and launch our little alum. fishing boat from sandy beaches.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAJAC View Post
Again, Thanks...I will give your advice a try. Is there a good way to get the little cover off w/out damageing the surrounding surfaces? If that fails I will call the DREADED service department. As stated re; reliability of the Taco...this in my 3rd! 03 - 07 07 was totaled in a broadside event. My 07 truck kept me from having my ticket punched!! My wife rides a 04 Corolla that gets 30 mpg! Thanks........Bajajac
P.S. We use the Taco to haul our toys to Baja Mex. and launch our little alum. fishing boat from sandy beaches.
The best thing to do is get a plastic pry tool like they use in detail/stereo shops. They are fairly inexpensive ($2-$3).

Sounds like you have quite the luck with Toyotas. Congratulations on your latest one.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
007tacoma

"If you believe in miracles" pun; song title!
Yesterday afternoon the Wife and I left to visit our Daughter in Yucaipa. Would you believe that the temp display came back to normal? Have not the slightest idea why. But won't mess w/it until further failure. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I will check in often for interesting TACOMA facts and help.
Keep it up....she said :D
Bajajac
Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!

That's awesome. That really leans me towards believing that it is just a loose connection. I would be willing to bet that 75 is a default reading for testing purposes without the sensor feedback. I am with you - don't mess with a good thing. Good luck with it.