1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Types of undercoating for a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by des kaiser, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Jul 5, 2008 at 8:20 AM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    What's the best type of undercoating for an 01 Tacoma 4x4? I've been using the Rust Stop once a year oil treatment that costs about $100 for the past 3 years. I'm looking for something more permanent for use in high salt /snow areas. The frame on my 01 is showing early signs of severe corrosion despite proper care and if Toyota doesn't make it right, I want to at least TRY.

What procedures do you suggest? Would they sand blast it first to remove the old rust? Won't it just rust through any coating? Opinions appreciated.

2. Jul 5, 2008 at 9:26 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    On our hot rods here some of the shops use Por 15 (it is expensive) then you paint over it or get it Rhino lined or Line X. Maybe someone will give you some better info.

3. Jul 14, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Toyota is buying back 1st generation trucks due to frame rust, and giving you 150% of blue book value. Apparently its pretty much a unsolvable problem due to the steel vendor for toyota. Theres been plenty of talk about it on here just search.

Products Discussed in

To Top