Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

air filter box access

Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
bigdogny is on a distinguished road
bigdogny's Tacoma Gallery
air filter box access

New here. I made the same mistake as others with the first oil change. Oil overflowed and I had a mess to clean in the driveway. Now I just place a cup under the plug to catch the oil when changing.

Anyway, I'm going to change the air filter to K&N. Any help on how to access the filter box?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tw. which motor do you have??
Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
he has the 4.0....on the left side of the engine (if ur looking at it), there are 2 big clips where the air box meets the intake box. pop those two clips and the filter will be in the left part that comes loose. if u really want some extra gains, remove the filter to the right (thats still in the intake box) as well. its there for extra emissions, but olets more air through w/ it out and doesnt hurt the engine in any way. if u wanna check it out, read up here....http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...r-removal.html
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
They explained it here are some pics.

Here's a little extra. The secondary Air filter, and its removal. This is how I did it. You don't have to do this or even do it my way if you attempt this you are assuming all responsibility, leaving me not at fault in any way. Now that thats cleared up here we go.

Remove these 2 bolts to give yourself room to work.

I used a screw driver and a hammer to tap the plugs off. Just shaving them and prying a little to get the filter out there should be 6 plugs.

This is what you should have remaining in the truck. Leave the screen as it will catch any large debreah. Make sure you clean the area well before replacing the filter and closing it up.

There is another write up on it but hey I was bored.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogny View Post
New here. I made the same mistake as others with the first oil change. Oil overflowed and I had a mess to clean in the driveway. Now I just place a cup under the plug to catch the oil when changing.

Anyway, I'm going to change the air filter to K&N. Any help on how to access the filter box?

Thanks
If you are talking about the oil flowing out when you remove the oil filter, I went to a hardwear store and bought 5 feet of 7/16" O.D. 5/16" I.D. vinyl tube. When I do an oil change, I connect the tube to the bottom of the oil filter catch (after removeing the plug), and run the tube down to my oil pan. Then remove the filter. No muss, no fuss. Cost was about $1.75.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
bigdogny is on a distinguished road
bigdogny's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

thanks for all the tips on the oil and air filter. Much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, when changeing the filter you will see a hole in the bottom of the filter mount:

There is a Plug under it:

Remove the plug and use a 5/16" I.D. tube to connect to it and run o the oil pan under your truck, then when you remove the filter, you capture all the oil in the filter!