Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Second gen rear shock install...

Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #41
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
It's not that allens wont fit the wrench, it's they way you use the allen key to hold the shaft from turning to allow the open end wrench to tighten the bolt. I'm gonna train brain to sorta "feel" 15 ft/lb and do a close enough thing.
I wonder how the stealerships do it. They must have a special tool.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #42
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
You can buy an extension, use open end/socket and adjust the math for leverage. I wonder if a socketed allen on the torque wrench/open end on the nut could accurately do 15ft/lb.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
crows foot

Use a crows foot wrench attached to the torque wrench on the top nut and hold the shaft with either the allen key wrench or a big vicegrip plairs. ta ta guys..
Attached Thumbnails
Second gen rear shock install...-crows.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This is becoming more difficult than I anticipated...

Dang thing nut wont break free!
Ideas?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
Sharx is on a distinguished road
Sharx's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished 5100 install on rear of my '13 2wd PR v6 Access and it was pretty easy after following your instructions. Only trouble I had was getting new bottom bushing into bracket. Had to jimmie it and use screwdriver through bushing to line up. Took a small Vice grip on flat sided top of shift and small Crescent/14mm wrench on nut. Wasn't hard to remove either original. If Bilstein would have included both parts bags so I didn't have to go down to ACE, I would have had it even easier. I am guessing I saved at least a C- note by DIY. Completely unloaded rear (BAK F-1 inc.), test drove it and it's a whole lot better than stock, especially on body lean and small bumps that would bounce OEM'S off the ground. Do this for (my Amazon deal 86 ea.) you'll be glad ya did.