Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Second gen rear shock install...

Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Second gen rear shock install...

When installing the rear shocks on a second gen, its a pretty easy procedure. No jacking of the truck, removal of the tires, etc. You need a 17mm box wrench, 5mm hex wrench (or 5mm open wrench...Depending on the shock), and 17mm socket.

Remove the lower shock mounting bolt and nut.
Remove the top 17mm nut.

Remove the old shock., then re install the new one.

Now...How to hold the shaft from spinning:

Some shocks have a 5mm hex hole in the top of the shock shaft:

While others are made for a 5 mm open wrench to fit:

In either case, use the appropriate wrench, along with an open wrench and tighten to 15 lbs-ft torque:

The lower shock mounting bolt is torqued to 74 lb-ft.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery

I'll know that for next time.
If you could only have seen me the day of.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post

I'll know that for next time.
If you could only have seen me the day of.
LOL! I imagine! Ive been there too
Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
doing this now.....fronts will be on tuesday
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
or slammed
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
5100s are on the back porch. looks like a hour job
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Negative Ghostrider
bnavin is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
bnavin's Tacoma Gallery
only tighten to 15 lbs-ft torque on top?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnavin View Post
only tighten to 15 lbs-ft torque on top?
Yup.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. I just did this and it took about 30 minutes. I'd seen other instructions on the net that showed the wheels off and all kinds of uneccessary crap. Glad I found this.

I can't believe how much smoother the 5100s are over the stock TRD OR shocks. Went for a high speed rip on a rough dirt road behind my place and it greatly reduces chatter and increases traction. You can see when you pull the old shocks out how much skinnier they are and subsequently how much less oil would be in them, so it's no wonder the 5100s perform better. Got a guy installing my fronts on Wednesday, so I'm really stoked to feel it then, especially since I'm ditching a spacer lift in the process.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
I have never changed my shocks on my 2005 Taco,any suggestions on types and/or brands i should look at,i do very little off roading,thanks for any advice,since i found this website i have been doing some of my own work,plugs today,tommarrow the differentials and if i get realy brave i might trey to change the tranny oil.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTB530 View Post
I have never changed my shocks on my 2005 Taco,any suggestions on types and/or brands i should look at,i do very little off roading,thanks for any advice,since i found this website i have been doing some of my own work,plugs today,tommarrow the differentials and if i get realy brave i might trey to change the tranny oil.
Bilstein 5100's front and rears are your best bang for your buck.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks JD i will check into these.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
JD i looked at your build ,nice job,ill be happy to get more of my maintainance done and get a shell on mine,thanks for the info on the shocks,,im really glad i found this forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Bilstein 5100's front and rears are your best bang for your buck.
Those Blistens are a little pricey for me,might have to go see my freind Les Schwabb lol
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #17
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTB530 View Post
Those Blistens are a little pricey for me,might have to go see my freind Les Schwabb lol
You can pick up a set of lightly used stock trd shocks on here for dirt cheap. That's another option.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
While others are made for a 5 mm open wrench to fit:

Just replaced my stock Bilsteins with 5100's
My stock Bilsteins had the 5 mm wrench at the top so I've got a quick question about removing them, or how they were supposed to be removed... I got to the top of the stud, could no longer keep the 5 mm wrench on top of the stud but still had threads to undo on the nut. I ended up just using a hack saw and cutting the stud but there's got to be a better way to get the shocks off... I did try using channel locks on the shock itself but couldn't get enough grip. Just curious how you're supposed to get them off without destroying the shock.