1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear discbrakes upgrade Good/Bad anyone?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 707taco, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Jul 7, 2008 at 11:53 AM
    707taco

707taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    kila cali
    Vehicle:
    07,trd,sport,4dr,lgb,Debadged
    07 DC longbed trd sport 4WD debaged 5% tint, downey adj. 3"lift kit,custom rock rails, trd seat covers, custom matching door arm rests,, vent visors, all weather tacoma floor matts, grillecraft grille w/ upside down painted emblem on it, total chaos upper control arms,leer camper shell,pro comp wheels,285/70/17 BF Goodrich All-Terrains,Home made rear bumper,Front under const.
    Has anyone upgraded to rear disc brakes on the new tacos and is this even possible and is it worth the trouble thanks to anyone who knows 707taco

2. Jul 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I haven't heard of anyone. This has been discussed a bunch. SOS makes a conversion kit but you probably shouldn't do it because your brake system was designed for disc/drums not disc/disc. There would probably also be some issues with anti-lock brakes.

Do a search here and you should find much more info.

3. Jul 7, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    i think it would be alot safer if u stuck to the drum brake. if u haul lots of stuff ur gonna want that drum

4. Jul 8, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Disc brakes are far superior to drum. The drum brakes are cheaper and will stop the truck even under load....but the stopping power of a good disc with good pads is better.

If you use a full kit- including the right brakes lines, pads, calipers, discs, and fluid- You'll be fine (I've HAVEN'T done a Tacoma- but I've done other trucks). It's not necessary, but if you've got cash to trash- It's an option.

5. Jul 9, 2008 at 5:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Before considering disc brake conversion... you should do A LOT of research first. You can't just slap on the disc brakes in the rear and call it good. There are other issues to consider - such as Master cylinder, proportioning/valving, and not to mention...ABS issues.

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Don't fix what ain't broke.

7. Jul 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    I agree. I put 249K miles on my '91 4x4 Toy until I sold it a couple of months ago. The same set of Drum brakes were still on it from when it was new. I had them adjusted several times when they were inspected; normally when my front brakes were worked on; I probably had worn the shoes to just below 50% of what they were new.
    You just don't need the disc's on the back.
    I admit though that they would look cool.

8. Jul 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

Are drum brakes better for hauling? I thought disc were the end all.

9. Jul 20, 2008 at 5:09 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The "end all" of brakeing might be a little strong. There is a reason that high performance cars have 4 corner dics' but...
    The rear brakes aren't used to stop the truck but for during serious decel or heavy load conditions...So drum brakes are more then sufficient to stop the truck...and when properly adjusted can last for a good long while

If you were to get into an emergency stopping situation you might notice the difference-
    But the major thing to consider is that the friction between the tire and the road can only be a certain amount- Go above that and you slide the tires. Add a disc kit and you might grab faster, but you might get to locking up faster.

If they made a brake kit for the '08 Taco-I might think about it...but there are lotsa things I wanna do before that.

10. Jul 20, 2008 at 7:08 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    From what I have read, people that have converted to rear disk on the Tacoma, have had their braking preformance drop. :)

11. Jul 20, 2008 at 8:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Dat's good info right der.

12. Jul 20, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

Yo yo. Tru dat, tru dat.

13. Jul 21, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Word. :cool:

I'm running rear discs on my 2006. Performance dropped but not so much that it's a concern for me. I converted for the improved cooling and self-cleaning aspects of the discs over the drums and not for improved braking.

14. Jul 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    That was one of the things on the Nissan Frontier that I was upset that the Taco didn't have. Braking power aside, working on discs versus drums? Give me discs any day.

Products Discussed in

To Top