Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rear discbrakes upgrade Good/Bad anyone?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed707taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

707taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear discbrakes upgrade Good/Bad anyone?

Has anyone upgraded to rear disc brakes on the new tacos and is this even possible and is it worth the trouble thanks to anyone who knows 707taco
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard of anyone. This has been discussed a bunch. SOS makes a conversion kit but you probably shouldn't do it because your brake system was designed for disc/drums not disc/disc. There would probably also be some issues with anti-lock brakes.

Do a search here and you should find much more info.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i think it would be alot safer if u stuck to the drum brake. if u haul lots of stuff ur gonna want that drum
Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Disc brakes are far superior to drum. The drum brakes are cheaper and will stop the truck even under load....but the stopping power of a good disc with good pads is better.

If you use a full kit- including the right brakes lines, pads, calipers, discs, and fluid- You'll be fine (I've HAVEN'T done a Tacoma- but I've done other trucks). It's not necessary, but if you've got cash to trash- It's an option.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Before considering disc brake conversion... you should do A LOT of research first. You can't just slap on the disc brakes in the rear and call it good. There are other issues to consider - such as Master cylinder, proportioning/valving, and not to mention...ABS issues.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Don't fix what ain't broke.
I agree. I put 249K miles on my '91 4x4 Toy until I sold it a couple of months ago. The same set of Drum brakes were still on it from when it was new. I had them adjusted several times when they were inspected; normally when my front brakes were worked on; I probably had worn the shoes to just below 50% of what they were new.
You just don't need the disc's on the back.
I admit though that they would look cool.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
i think it would be alot safer if u stuck to the drum brake. if u haul lots of stuff ur gonna want that drum

Are drum brakes better for hauling? I thought disc were the end all.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
The "end all" of brakeing might be a little strong. There is a reason that high performance cars have 4 corner dics' but...
The rear brakes aren't used to stop the truck but for during serious decel or heavy load conditions...So drum brakes are more then sufficient to stop the truck...and when properly adjusted can last for a good long while

If you were to get into an emergency stopping situation you might notice the difference-
But the major thing to consider is that the friction between the tire and the road can only be a certain amount- Go above that and you slide the tires. Add a disc kit and you might grab faster, but you might get to locking up faster.

If they made a brake kit for the '08 Taco-I might think about it...but there are lotsa things I wanna do before that.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have read, people that have converted to rear disk on the Tacoma, have had their braking preformance drop.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Dat's good info right der.

Yo yo. Tru dat, tru dat.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
From what I have read, people that have converted to rear disk on the Tacoma, have had their braking preformance drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Dat's good info right der.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Yo yo. Tru dat, tru dat.
Word.

I'm running rear discs on my 2006. Performance dropped but not so much that it's a concern for me. I converted for the improved cooling and self-cleaning aspects of the discs over the drums and not for improved braking.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
That was one of the things on the Nissan Frontier that I was upset that the Taco didn't have. Braking power aside, working on discs versus drums? Give me discs any day.