Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #303
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Gabe 911 - Whats the switch for?
Guess the stock breather on my rear diff is only 1 way valve so I followed the OP's advice and switched it out for a 2 way with longer hose. Its suppose to help preserve the seals
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #304
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe911 View Post
Guess the stock breather on my rear diff is only 1 way valve so I followed the OP's advice and switched it out for a 2 way with longer hose. Its suppose to help preserve the seals
pretty sure he's asking about the switch on the left side of the cubby...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #305
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
pretty sure he's asking about the switch on the left side of the cubby...
LOL... sorry ...The switch is for my bed lights I put in the smaller pocket cubby holes closer to the cab. pics should be in my sig
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #307
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe911 View Post

Well, it prevents a vacuum from developing inside the differential so muddy water doesn't get sucked in when you cross a stream deeper than 18". This is the setup that Toyota does on the front differential, but failed to on the rear. It is the perhaps the easiest mod in the world and maybe the most important one any off roading Tacoma should have!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #308
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
It wouldn't hurt for them all to be that way...even the 5 luggers. People drive thru water deeper than 18" in the streets when it floods, lol.....or try to.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #309
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed! Other truck companies have extended breathers on the rear diff... why not Toyota? Thanks for extending the front differential up high, at least... half is better than none?!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #310
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Is the rear breather even necessary? I've dunked the rear a few times recently and just changed the fluids and they looked fine.....could just regularly changing it be fine if I got into some dirty shit?

Im just lazy and haven't found the need for the breather yet??
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #311

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Is the rear breather even necessary? I've dunked the rear a few times recently and just changed the fluids and they looked fine.....could just regularly changing it be fine if I got into some dirty shit?

Im just lazy and haven't found the need for the breather yet??
What the Tacoma has on the rear differential (from the factory) is an exhaust valve that opens to relieve high pressure, although we all call it a 'breather'.

By changing the exhaust valve to a true breather (the same kind Toyota puts on our front differential) you reduce the chance of mud contaminating the gears. The muddy water gets in past the axle seals because a vacuum is created when you quickly go from being hot to cold when you drive into a stream.

It happened to my 6 month old Tacoma the first time I drove into a muddy creek... and had it's gear oil inspected after we got back from Baja. It was milky (water contaminated)... so changed the oil, right then.

Next, I performed the mod, as shown in my photos on the first page of this thread, using the Toyota parts shown (breather and union) with the tube to place the breather up high in one of the bed compartments.

Now, anytime I quickly cool the differential by driving into water, it can breath to break the vacuum and not suck in any mud or water. It also allows venting if over pressurized gas from the gear oil (just as the stock one did).

That was almost 3 years ago, and haven't had an issue since!

IF the factory does this kind of breather on the front differential, doesn't it make sense to do it on the rear??? YES!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #312
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Makes sense....thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #313

David K's Tacoma Gallery
De nada!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #314
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the parts this afternoon. I will get them after work, I just have to pick up the fuel line. Has anyone used the extra fuel line for the oil filter drain
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #315
derrenwd is on a distinguished road
derrenwd's Tacoma Gallery
is the breather the same place on the trd off roads 2005 ?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #316
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrenwd View Post
is the breather the same place on the trd off roads 2005 ?
Yes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #318
derrenwd is on a distinguished road
derrenwd's Tacoma Gallery
thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #319
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Wish you posted before I bought from Toyota. I looked local for the Brass 1/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) no one had them
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #320
cverneau is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
cverneau's Tacoma Gallery
Okay - I've read both of the major threads on this mod and will be doing this soon, but here's my confusion:

Some people use union p/n 90404-51026 (1/4" barb) and this seems to thread down all the way to the nut.
Some people use union p/n 90404-51319 (3/8" barb) and this seems to thread in but has quite a few threads still showing.
Both of the above p/n's are metal and have 1/8" NPT threads and everyone's using teflon tape for installation.

The poster above me has used a brass fitting with 1/8" BSPT threads with no problems. If the threads are BPST threads, then people using the 1/8" NPT fitting may run into problems down the road.

In reading all of the postings with regards to this mod, the majority of people have no problems, but some have had the fittings not thread in correctly, not been able to tighten the fitting or they have been loose and wobbly, and in one case, not been able to remove the loose fitting after installing it.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, due to what worked for them, but does anyone know - definitively - what the thread should be on this fitting and which part should be used??

Products Discussed in this Thread