Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #321
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cverneau View Post
Okay - I've read both of the major threads on this mod and will be doing this soon, but here's my confusion:

Some people use union p/n 90404-51026 (1/4" barb) and this seems to thread down all the way to the nut.
Some people use union p/n 90404-51319 (3/8" barb) and this seems to thread in but has quite a few threads still showing.
Both of the above p/n's are metal and have 1/8" NPT threads and everyone's using teflon tape for installation.

The poster above me has used a brass fitting with 1/8" BSPT threads with no problems. If the threads are BPST threads, then people using the 1/8" NPT fitting may run into problems down the road.

In reading all of the postings with regards to this mod, the majority of people have no problems, but some have had the fittings not thread in correctly, not been able to tighten the fitting or they have been loose and wobbly, and in one case, not been able to remove the loose fitting after installing it.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, due to what worked for them, but does anyone know - definitively - what the thread should be on this fitting and which part should be used??
Buy both, take yours out and compare the threads to the new one's. Return the other one.

I got the one listed in the first post and it worked
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #322
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Buy both, take yours out and compare the threads to the new one's. Return the other one.

Sounds like good advise. I also bought what was listed in the first post and came home from work today with plans to do it but my daughters car took priority
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #323
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post

The 'union' part I used had the same threads as the factory valve/breather I took off the differential.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #324
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the threads on toyotas use BSPT not NPT

this sources confirm my thoughts some what:
-http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/15223-diy-differential-breather-extension-3.html
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqzJJtKW7A
-http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/111727-oil-pressure-kit-connection.html
-http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/WaterProofing.shtml
Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #325
Hylandr18 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Hospital Corpsman
Name: AL
Hylandr18's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Hylandr18

My son burned up his rear differential in his 2005 because this vent became clogged.He traded it in for a 2013 so, I'm glad I joined this forum and came across this post.Thank You very much as this will probably save me $ in the future Very helpful!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #326
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylandr18 View Post
My son burned up his rear differential in his 2005 because this vent became clogged.He traded it in for a 2013 so, I'm glad I joined this forum and came across this post.Thank You very much as this will probably save me $ in the future Very helpful!
Yes, much harder to clog it up if it is up inside the storage compartment and not down in the mud!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #327
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
I'll take some pictures when I get home from work tomorrow.

If anyone interested, I have the parts below available.

I also have four each case hardened black oxide steel partial thread T-slot nuts. These are the perfect fit for our bed rails. Bolt size is 3/8-16, I went with the partial thread as I didn't want the bolt damaging the rail if it was to long. I will include one 3/8-16 x 5/8" hex flange head cap screw with each T-nut. $4.50 each shipped.

Payment sent for Bass union
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #328
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What size are the hose claps for this?

I just ordered
90404-51026
90930-03136

I am hoping I don't have to order 90404-51319 instead.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #329

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
What size are the hose claps for this?

I just ordered
90404-51026
90930-03136

I am hoping I don't have to order 90404-51319 instead.
On the opening post, I took a photo of the parts bag, so nobody would get the wrong number...

On the first page of this thread is a photo of all the parts I bought, including a package of hose clamps... ones that will fit 1/2" to 1" diameter hoses... here's a close up of the end, in the compartment:

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #330
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just completed this today! Thanks for the write up!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #331
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #332

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You get an A !
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #333
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahot1 View Post
The only issues with the alternative you linked are first, it's more expensive than the proposed method and second, it doesn't solve the problem of creating low pressure in the housing when it cools.

I read an article somewhere (sorry, I'm not going to look for it again) where some guys poked a pin hole in the top pleat of this style product. They figured that any small amount of water that was able to enter would turn to steam and escape through the pinhole. They were betting that the pinhole would allow better breathability.

I prefer the method described in this thread.
I finished the thread and this is as good a reason for a timely bump as anything.

The Trail-Gear Creeper Breather addresses the second point ^^^ by collapsing as needed. As long as the bellows remains flexible, airtight, and has sufficient volume, it'll work fine. I'd have to have some proof of steam issues before intentionally damaging a sealed bellows. My main concern with this part is the life span of the rubber. Fuel hose is cheap and lasts a very long time.

The T-G part seems like a good solution, but I'm going with the hose. I ordered the parts from David's OP and should have them installed soon. I'll be crossing the Fremont river in a few weeks, and don't want to worry about water contamination.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #334
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone ever get confirmation on whether or not the e-locker breather needs to be moved as well? It might have been in the 17 pages, but I easily could have missed it. Just waiting on the parts to do this mod next weekend.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #335
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod just now. For those wondering like I did, the stock breather threading is the same length as the new union you are replacing it with. It can be tightened all the way down to the differential housing. I was wondering why I saw about 1/4 of the threads on the earlier pics, thinking that it was longer and intruding into the gear area. It's not. +1 Rep for OP!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #336
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah mine tightened all the way down too . And I did trip . But I made two water crossings with it and it was ok when I put my locker in .
Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #337

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Did this mod just now. For those wondering like I did, the stock breather threading is the same length as the new union you are replacing it with. It can be tightened all the way down to the differential housing. I was wondering why I saw about 1/4 of the threads on the earlier pics, thinking that it was longer and intruding into the gear area. It's not. +1 Rep for OP!
Did I do something right?!! LOL

Thank you! You will also note that I wrapped teflon tape on the threads so it would seal without over-tightening and risk of snapping it off!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #338
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Completed using David K's part numbers from OP. I ran the hose between the bed structure and zip tied it to the fuel filler tube. No need for the extension for the Fremont last week (5"), but it's good to know it's done.

Thanks again, David.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #339

David K's Tacoma Gallery
de nada amigo!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #340
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished this mod, routed my breather through my bed cubby. The actual replacement breather valve I got doesn't have much articulation in the little silver cap over the valve, unlike the stock one from the axle, which moves around a lot. There is not a seal or anything, and it will freely spin, but there is not much of a gap. Anything to be concerned about? first time doing a breather relocation with this type of valve. Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread