Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #341
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
If you blow through the original part from the axle, you'll see that the movement is actually the valve at work. Push it in, and the air flow is stopped. The new part doesn't act as a valve, so there's no movement.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #342
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcem87 View Post
Just finished this mod, routed my breather through my bed cubby. The actual replacement breather valve I got doesn't have much articulation in the little silver cap over the valve, unlike the stock one from the axle, which moves around a lot. There is not a seal or anything, and it will freely spin, but there is not much of a gap. Anything to be concerned about? first time doing a breather relocation with this type of valve. Thanks
That is the whole point of doing this mod... to put a real breather on the end of a tube, above any deep water line.

The thing that is on the differential from the factory is a one way VENT... It has a spring loaded seal that takes a pressure build-up in the diff. to push against the little spring, and let gasses vent to atmosphere.

A BREATHER allows venting AND vacuum breaking! That's the key, to break a vacuum created inside the diff., when you cross a stream... The sudden cooling of a hot differential makes the outside air/ muddy water want to suck INTO the differential, passing the rubber axle seals.

Yes, it happens... either how I explained or or another way, the differential oil gets contaminated.

Why does Toyota put a remote breather on the front differential, but not on the rear? Specially on OFF ROAD or 4WD Tacomas...??!!

This mod put the same breather Toyota has on our front differentials, on the rear... and up high in the bed compartment or the gas fill bay, etc.

Didn't I cover all this in the first page of this thread? No problem, I like talking about my Tacoma... Hope that explains it, but don't hold back if you have questions!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #343
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Hey David, the two breathers that are right next to the battery on an '09 off-road are the Transmission and Front Diff breathers? Or are they something else...

I'm try to find ALL the breathers on the truck similar to this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-breather.html

But I think two of them are already relocated. Either way, I am running all of them into these instead:

Specter Breather

Then I will partially cover those to protect from splash off the fan if it catches water.

Does that sound sane?

EDIT: I am running all of them to the driver side front up to a custom bracket I made. Will post pics if this all works out.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #344
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Hey David, the two breathers that are right next to the battery on an '09 off-road are the Transmission and Front Diff breathers? Or are they something else...

I'm try to find ALL the breathers on the truck similar to this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-breather.html

But I think two of them are already relocated. Either way, I am running all of them into these instead:

Specter Breather

Then I will partially cover those to protect from splash off the fan if it catches water.

Does that sound sane?

EDIT: I am running all of them to the driver side front up to a custom bracket I made. Will post pics if this all works out.
Yes, front diff breather is one of the two by the battery... and your breather choice looks good to me!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #345
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Yes, front diff breather is one of the two by the battery... and your breather choice looks good to me!
What's the other one?

I'm going to start it this Friday since I am off. Hopefully, everything turns out nice.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #346

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the other one?

I'm going to start it this Friday since I am off. Hopefully, everything turns out nice.
See this photo, lower red square, by frogsauce:

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #347

David K's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: ADD = Automatic Disconnecting Differential. Like 'automatic hubs', but no need to drive in reverse to complete the unlocking. Permits shift-on-the-fly into and out of 4WD-HI, from inside your vehicle, stopped or moving.

Before the ADD or AUTO HUBS, one had to get out and rotate the hubs from free to lock to use 4WD. Before hubs (old 4WDs), the front driveline rotated even in 2WD.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #348
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
FYI: ADD = Automatic Disconnecting Differential. Like 'automatic hubs', but no need to drive in reverse to complete the unlocking. Permits shift-on-the-fly into and out of 4WD-HI, from inside your vehicle, stopped or moving.

Before the ADD or AUTO HUBS, one had to get out and rotate the hubs from free to lock to use 4WD. Before hubs (old 4WDs), the front driveline rotated even in 2WD.
I understand that the ADD disconnects the front axles from the transfer case, but aren't the CV axles splined to the front hubs, meaning they're still rotating in 2WD?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #349

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I welcome Toyota Tech input... The whole idea of Auto Hubs, the ADD and Selectable Hubs in general is to reduce wear on the front driveline and increase fuel economy. Is one of the two half axles spinning with one of the two front tires, or are both not connected?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #350
Well, let's play chess.

I don't have time right now, but if we don't get an answer, I'll lift the front later and see what spins in 2WD.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #351

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I hope nothing! The spinning would come from the front tires rolling since the transfer case is in 2WD.

If someone could mount one of those web cams under the truck and drive in 2WD, we can see if either front half axle or front drive shaft rotates with the tires or just a little from centrifugal force... ???
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #352

Quote:
What's the other one?

I did it, and was able to test the two-way theory a bit. The oil was much cleaner and water free than with the one-way breathers I had before. One more hunting season of 5k miles and water crossings should show the same results, but we'll see.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ather-mod.html
Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #353

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did it, and was able to test the two-way theory a bit. The oil was much cleaner and water free than with the one-way breathers I had before. One more hunting season of 5k miles and water crossings should show the same results, but we'll see.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ather-mod.html
Thanks Chris!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #354
gonathan85 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
gonathan85's Tacoma Gallery
Mod completed! For those of you who elected to locate the new breather in the gas cap compartment, did you have trouble drilling a hole for the hose to protrude through? I chose the rubber grommet method, and it came out clean.

Drilling a 5/8" hole at a funny angle (due to gas door) in the plastic was somewhat precarious. I started with a 1/4" bit, after using an electrical tester to create a pilot "dimple" in the plastic. Then, I progressively stepped-up the bit size 4 more times with 4 slightly larger bits to eventually end up with a 5/8" hole. I used a 31/32 x 1/2 rubber grommet purchased at Lowes #139377 to give a clean factory finish. Also used a 1/4" to 5/8" #4 SS clamp to secure the 5/16 ID fuel line to the threaded barb fitting.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #355
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Just FYI, that yellow high pressure hose on pg 1, 3/8 in x 5/8 out, is clearance item at Lowes now. I think it was $0.66 per foot when I got it today.

They had some red air line hose that I assume would work too if you just don't like yellow.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #356

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You don't see the hose unless you are under the truck, so color doesn't matter. However, the yellow sure made it nice to show the install!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #357
jtacoma1 is on a distinguished road
Name: J
jtacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the MOD right up. Did such a good job selling me on the benefits of the breather for the rear now I'm thinking I should change the breather in the front to the two way - similar to the part that the MOD called for in the back.

Correct me if I misunderstood, but it seems like the front diff breather is only a one-way valve and not a "true breather".

I understand that the front will not get contaminated due to its height compared to the rear, but being a one way valve can't it create a vacuum at one point?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #358

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoma1 View Post
Thanks for the MOD right up. Did such a good job selling me on the benefits of the breather for the rear now I'm thinking I should change the breather in the front to the two way - similar to the part that the MOD called for in the back.

Correct me if I misunderstood, but it seems like the front diff breather is only a one-way valve and not a "true breather".

I understand that the front will not get contaminated due to its height compared to the rear, but being a one way valve can't it create a vacuum at one point?
NO! The front breather is fine... it is the model we use for the back in this mod!!!

That's one of the things that makes it seem so crazy that Toyota does... the good (2-way) breather in front, and a one way exhaust valve on the back!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #359
jtacoma1 is on a distinguished road
Name: J
jtacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Understand. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #360

David K's Tacoma Gallery
No problem... anytime!

Products Discussed in this Thread