Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I also need 2 do this.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
In following the various breather/ scuba threads, it can be confusing when reading about the 'E-locker breather'... It seems that the Tacoma does NOT have one, but the FJ Cruisser does... Why is that, and what bearthes on an e-locker motor? It is bolted onto the differential, and the differential has a breather... ??
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #24
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I really need to do this
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
In following the various breather/ scuba threads, it can be confusing when reading about the 'E-locker breather'... It seems that the Tacoma does NOT have one, but the FJ Cruisser does... Why is that, and what bearthes on an e-locker motor? It is bolted onto the differential, and the differential has a breather... ??
I'm pretty sure they all (e/lockers)have them, my son has an old front e/locker and it has a breather. I think the difference between the FJ and the Tacoma is the FJ has a check valve and the tacoma goes into the cross member, although when I blew into the fitting in the cross memmber it seemed to have resistance.
I base the FJ info on some photos I saw on another thread.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #26
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so for the Off road version we have two rear dif breathers?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
so for the Off road version we have two rear dif breathers?
Technically no, there is a rear diff breather and a e/locker breather, the diff is 5/16 hose the locker is 5/32 so half the size.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #28

^ so then that would be a yes. So when I do this mod I will need to do two breather mods....right?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #29
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Somehow, I don't think so... in the other thread on doing the mod, the e-locker was not shown getting a tube added to it. The FJ Cruiser is different than the Tacoma, and it does have a second breather (diff. and e-locker). If the Taco had two breathers on the rear end, it would have been spelled out in the other thread. At least I hope that is the case... otherwise, I guess I drop the spare tire again and find out what parts to order!??
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #30

shit im confused.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #31
senna's Tacoma Gallery
What other thread are you referring to
Old 09-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #32
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
What other thread are you referring to
the one linked on pg 1, post 8..................

I routed mine to the gas door area up even higher when I did this mod (not even gettin near goin thru that much water...on purpose)..............checking for pic....................nice write up pics
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #34
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Found my pics from mod day. Never uploaded them. Just pitchin in, no takeover intended,lol..........

Top to bottom

Followed the gas line down. Only 1 ziptie

Then followed the brake lines

Left a bit of slack and there we go
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #35

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, before I drove off to install some sprinkler valves today (hooray work), I crawled under my taco and found a TINY 1/8" rubber tube coming up from the E-Locker and goinig into the frame cross member... Is THAT a breather tube? If so, it is routed higher up than the differential and probably out of harms way in most water crossings? Where does it go from inside the frame cross member, or is the breather inside, there?

I am still wonder why an electric motor needs a breather tube???
Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #36
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, before I drove off to install some sprinkler valves today (hooray work), I crawled under my taco and found a TINY 1/8" rubber tube coming up from the E-Locker and goinig into the fram cross member... Is THAT a breather tube? If so, it is routed higher up than the differential and probably out of harms way in most water crossings? Where does it go from inside the frame cross member, or is the breather inside, there?

I am still wonder why an electric motor needs a breather tube???
I blew through the hose while it was connected to the cross member and it had resistance, like the valve you put on the diff breather, that no longer is a check valve.

As far as it being routed up high enough, I would just rather not have to second guess that out on the trail, I know it is the same height as the other.

Why it needs it? I couldn't find an answer either.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #38

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks...

Where are all the Toyota Techies.. I am still wanting the facts on the e-locker breather... Where does that tiny rubber tube go once inside the cross member?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks...

Where are all the Toyota Techies.. I am still wanting the facts on the e-locker breather... Where does that tiny rubber tube go once inside the cross member?
I pm'd chris4x4 about it but he said he would need pics before he could speculate as to what/where/why
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #40

David K's Tacoma Gallery
If he needs pics to know what an e-locker breather is, then he isn't the tech I think I am seeking for an answer.

Thanks, anyway!

Products Discussed in this Thread