Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #41
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this to mine as well.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #42
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #43
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This is on my list for next weekend.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #44
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Last Saturday while in Baja, the Rugged Trail (Fail) T/A with only 16,000 miles on it got a rock puncture on a graded road... Had it patched in El Rosario, and took a couple photos of my breather tube when the tire was removed...

Here is also the stock 3 leaf spring on my 2010 (Baja, Mexico built Tacoma) that doesn't bottom out, like the 3 leaf spring on my 2005 Tocoma did...

Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #45
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
David, I may be on the wrong track here, but, I took special care to make sure that there were no low spots in my breather hose. The chances however remote, are that, if you do get fluid above the low spot in the hose, you no longer have an open breather. I guess it would be kind of like those bellows breathers, the pressure could just push the fluid up .

I don't know, maybe much to do about nothing.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #46

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a good point... I think if a vacuum was strong enough to suck in water past the axle seal, it would be easier to first suck back any fluid sitting in the tube. I don't think there are in low dips in the run, anyway.

I would enjoy hearing from the experts...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #47
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Maybe a good point... I think if a vacuum was strong enough to suck in water past the axle seal, it would be easier to first suck back any fluid sitting in the tube. I don't think there are in low dips in the run, anyway.

I would enjoy hearing from the experts...
the experts have concluded there needs to be more sucking

no homo
Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #48
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Last year I some research on whether or not the electric diff lock really had a breather in the Tacoma. My research was inconclusive. I couldn't find much in the FSM. I was aware that the FJ had one though. Here are some documents from the 2006 FSM

R.M. 2006 Differential: Differential Lock System: Parts Location (Tacoma)
R.M. 2006 Differential: Differential Lock System: System Diagram, On-Vehicle Inspection, Inspection (Tacoma)

I really would like a definitive answer on whether or not there is one.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #50

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Crom, there is a smaller rubber tube that comes off the e-locker and disappears into the frame... This is much higher than the rear differential stock breather's location... What happens to that tube once in the frame cross member is unknown... Because of A-TRAC, if the e-locker fails it isn't going to stop me... but if the rear diff. fails, well... that is a problem and not cheap, so the breather mod for it was important.

The yellow tube is sold at Lowe's... go buy 6 feet of it now, so you will have it... in case they stop selling it!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #51
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Russ
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine. Only I used a clear tube, thought it would be nice to be able to see what's going on inside.
Thanks to OP's easy to follow install steps!
Attached Thumbnails
My Differential Breather Mod Photos-1.jpg   My Differential Breather Mod Photos-2.jpg   My Differential Breather Mod Photos-3.jpg   My Differential Breather Mod Photos-5.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #52
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
I noticed when I dropped my spare for this mod, there was some wear on the tire side wall from rubbing on the frame. Did anyone else notice that when you took your spare down?
Attached Thumbnails
My Differential Breather Mod Photos-6.jpg   My Differential Breather Mod Photos-7.jpg   My Differential Breather Mod Photos-8.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #53
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The yellow tube is sold at Lowe's... go buy 6 feet of it now, so you will have it... in case they stop selling it!
They have stopped selling it. At least at my local Lowes. After lifting I decided I wanted more slack in the tubing so went and picked up another section of the stuff from Lowes. The stock on the shelf was the same color as red clay.

But, I now know for sure I have enough slack for axle travel.

And man...now that I have the TSB springs with an AAL, those stock leafs look awful small...glad they don't bottom out, but I'm still not crazy about the look.

One word of caution for people: If you are not using high pressure hose or fuel line for this mod, I would be worried about tearing/punctures from trail debris, or kinking during enthusiastic suspension flex. The high pressure hosing really is the way to go...it's almost impossible to kink and is very cut/tear resistant. Fuel line is essentially the same thing in a smaller diameter. Back when I originally did this in August '09, I determined it was by far the best stuff for the job:

Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #54

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes Russ, I saw the rub wear on the spare... another reason for turning it over besides access to the air fill valve stem.

I agree with jandrews in that the clear tube may not be tough enough for flying rocks, sticks, etc. Keep an eye on it and let us know how it does... Glad you found my idea of where to put the breather made sense, as well!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #55

Marines:
It was the easiest to route to I am planning on replacing the clear tube with a more durable one. I just used the clear tube to see if there wouldn't be too much condensation that could cause problems.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #56

David K's Tacoma Gallery
GOOD WORK!

Let us know what you see...
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #57
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
does the oil get sucked up in the tube? if i need to change me diff oil will it spill out the hose?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #58

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
does the oil get sucked up in the tube?
Only in the vacuum of outer space...

Quote:
if i need to change me diff oil will it spill out the hose?
Umm, only if you do the job with your truck upside down!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #59

Marines:
so, after a week or so of running the clear tube I have not seen any condensation in the tube and I went ahead and bought 6' of 5/16 fuel line from Auto Zone and replaced the clear tube with a more durable one. It actually looks like it's factory installed now. Love this mod for the peace of mind it gives me. Not that I cross high water every day, but if I had to, I know I'm covered.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #60

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Good job!

Products Discussed in this Thread