Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #141
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Looks like a quick cheap way of getting added "insurance". My question is this....
Any issues with the new hose rubbing and possibly creating a leak along the frame or anywhere else it contacts a sharp edge of metal? Perhaps adding a rubber grommet to prevent this from happening?
Use 6' of 1/4" fuel line, that stuff is bomber tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
A very simple mod to do. I love the way it looks! It looks factory, is very functional and the fuel line is tough!

In retrospect, I think the teflon tape was unnecessary. The threads are very fine. I only used two wraps and I think that was more than sufficient.

For anyone that uses 1/4" fuel line like I did, I recommend to apply some oil to the union fitting so that you can slip the fuel line over, it can take a fair amount of force and the oil made all of the difference. 3-1 oil worked perfectly.

I routed mine up and attached to the brake line bracket up high, parallel on top of the gas tank and then up to the fuel inlet secured it with a hose clamp and backed it up with a zip tie. It made for a very clean install.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #142
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Howdy fellow taco dudes. David K shows union part #90404-51026, while Crom shows #90404-51319. Why the difference? Are they interchangeable?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #143
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
Looks like a quick cheap way of getting added "insurance". My question is this....
Any issues with the new hose rubbing and possibly creating a leak along the frame or anywhere else it contacts a sharp edge of metal? Perhaps adding a rubber grommet to prevent this from happening?
As the others did, I left some slack in the hose for axle flex, off roading... It is thick rubber and not against anything sharp. However, nothing wrong with examining it from time to time.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #144
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoteacher View Post
Howdy fellow taco dudes. David K shows union part #90404-51026, while Crom shows #90404-51319. Why the difference? Are they interchangeable?
Crom's looks the same as what I used... I show the package from Toyota on the first photos... you can see the part number.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #146

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used David's part numbers when I ordered mine and I told the dealer how much they should cost based on David's cost and it was no problem.

Top thing is the 'union' that goes on the differential where the stock breather was. (-51319)

Bottom thing is the 2-way breather that also is used for the front differential. (-03136)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #147

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoteacher View Post
No, here is my photo from this thread's first page:

Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #148
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used David's part numbers when I ordered mine and I told the dealer how much they should cost based on David's cost and it was no problem.
Ok. I'll go with David's part #s and cost. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #149
Armsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of lightArmsmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: Firearms Instructor
Name: Bill
Armsmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Great Job!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
After getting muddy water sucked into my 2010 Tacoma differential, on the trail to/ from Mision Santa Maria in Baja California... and being instructed by HB Murphy to do the mod described here on TW... I ordered the parts from my dealer (Union & Breather for $12) and bought 6 feet of 3/8 x 5/8 yellow pressure tube from Lowes plus a couple of hose clamps.

The breather is on top/ left side of the pumpkin (rear differential) 18 inches above ground level. It is a there to allow hot gear vapors to vent. The problem is that if we cross any streams or mud pits deeper than the breather (18"), contamination can occur... and did in mine, per the tech at my dealer.

I dropped the spare tire to permit easier access (and to turn the spare over, so we can get to the air fill valve stem in the future).

I removed the stock breather with a 14 mm or 9/16 open end wrench.

I installed the union (#90404-51319) with teflon tape wrapped on the threads.

I added my 6 foot piece of 3/8 x 5/8 pressure tube (later trimming about 1 foot of excess)... having the excess made working the tube through the frame and openings easier.

I drilled a 5/8" hole in the side of the storage box on the left side of the bed.

I pulled the tube through the hole, cinch tied the run to the differential in a couple of places with extra along the route to allow for axle movement.

I cut the excess amount of tube, added the hose clamp, the breather (#90930-03136) and tightened the clamp.

DONE... High water beware!

PS, for those who are wondering... the front differntial has an extended breather, in the engine compartment... who knows why Toyota didn't do the same on the rear?

Great Job... Thanks for the info...
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #150

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You are welcome...

I re-reading my procedures, I see I wasn't totally clear on how the contamination occurs. The stock breather is about 18" above ground, but when you go into water that deep, your axles are underwater first... and it is past the axle seals where muddy water can enter the diff. from a vacuum that a one way breather (the stock one) does not prevent.

Using the front style diff. breather mounted up higher, prevents a vacuum and thus there is no trend to suck water past the axle seals and into the diff. Water does not enter through the stock breather, unless it is defective because it is a spring loaded, one way, exhaust valve.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #151
Canuckwithatruck is on a distinguished road
Name: Ross
Canuckwithatruck's Tacoma Gallery
Being that I am from Canada I have concerns that in the cold winter months condensation would form inside of the "breather hose" subsequently freeze up and then not allow for proper flow. Does anyone else see this as a concern?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #152

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckwithatruck View Post
Being that I am from Canada I have concerns that in the cold winter months condensation would form inside of the "breather hose" subsequently freeze up and then not allow for proper flow. Does anyone else see this as a concern?
So what do you do with the front breather?

Remember, we are only duplicating on the rear what Toyota already does on the front.

If having a 2 way breather was 'bad', then Toyota would have an issue with EVERY 4WD Toyota that has a factory front breather on the end of a tube.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #154
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
great write up i ordered my parts from toyota and had the mod done before irene hit us saturday.

lol i thought i better get off my ass and do this seeing as how i have a snorkel and the rear breather would kill any chance of a water crossing either elective or due to an emergency situation.

the union though after i wrapped it in some teflon tape seems like it could be a bit tighter let me know if they are supposed to be that way.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #155

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
great write up i ordered my parts from toyota and had the mod done before irene hit us saturday.

lol i thought i better get off my ass and do this seeing as how i have a snorkel and the rear breather would kill any chance of a water crossing either elective or due to an emergency situation.

the union though after i wrapped it in some teflon tape seems like it could be a bit tighter let me know if they are supposed to be that way.
Mine felt 'normal' screwing it in by hand... snug fit and then a partial turn with the wrench... maybe 3 wraps of teflon tape on the threads.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #156
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
same for me mine just didn't go completely tight. thought it might be wrong but idk its on there i don't think i could get it off with my hands thats for sure.

either way great write up buddy this completed my snorkel set-up i began back in june. i read your thread and said to myself i had better get on this in case something happened with the storm.

btw how did you find out which union would work with the rear diff meaning how did you come across the part number?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #157
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is only a difference in the nipple size on the union parts. One has thinner size than the other but the threaded part is the same. So the hose fits tight on the breather if it fits the smaller union but both union and breather are same size using the other union part number.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #158

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Mine wasn't the first thread on this mod, the older thread had part numbers... it was just getting so long and another set of numbers got flashed about... I like to de-confuse things with clear answers (not always possible)! I thought if I took a photo of the bag with the parts in it, who could mistake those numbers!? Yet, in this thread, somebody did!!! LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #159
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
I figured I'd swing by Redlands Toyota to see if maybe they had a breather and union hanging around. Sure enough some guy ordered it like 4 days ago and never picked it up so I bought the current ones and they ordered another set for Mr. No Show.

Working late tonight so I didn't think I would have a chance to get the house, did a quick Google search for "hose" and turns out a place across of the cul-de-sac i work at carried everything else I needed, and got it for free since I've helped them with things in the past.

Might get a chance to do this tonight.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #160
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Yet, in this thread, somebody did!!! LOL
Who?

Products Discussed in this Thread