1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by David K, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    So what do you do with the front breather?

Remember, we are only duplicating on the rear what Toyota already does on the front.

If having a 2 way breather was 'bad', then Toyota would have an issue with EVERY 4WD Toyota that has a factory front breather on the end of a tube.

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    subbed doing this this weekend ordered my parts today

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    great write up i ordered my parts from toyota and had the mod done before irene hit us saturday.

lol i thought i better get off my ass and do this seeing as how i have a snorkel and the rear breather would kill any chance of a water crossing either elective or due to an emergency situation.

the union though after i wrapped it in some teflon tape seems like it could be a bit tighter let me know if they are supposed to be that way.

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Mine felt 'normal' screwing it in by hand... snug fit and then a partial turn with the wrench... maybe 3 wraps of teflon tape on the threads.

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    same for me mine just didn't go completely tight. thought it might be wrong but idk its on there i don't think i could get it off with my hands thats for sure.

either way great write up buddy this completed my snorkel set-up i began back in june. i read your thread and said to myself i had better get on this in case something happened with the storm.

btw how did you find out which union would work with the rear diff meaning how did you come across the part number?

6. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I think there is only a difference in the nipple size on the union parts. One has thinner size than the other but the threaded part is the same. So the hose fits tight on the breather if it fits the smaller union but both union and breather are same size using the other union part number.

7. Aug 31, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Mine wasn't the first thread on this mod, the older thread had part numbers... it was just getting so long and another set of numbers got flashed about... I like to de-confuse things with clear answers (not always possible)! I thought if I took a photo of the bag with the parts in it, who could mistake those numbers!? Yet, in this thread, somebody did!!! LOL

8. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    I figured I'd swing by Redlands Toyota to see if maybe they had a breather and union hanging around. Sure enough some guy ordered it like 4 days ago and never picked it up so I bought the current ones and they ordered another set for Mr. No Show.

Working late tonight so I didn't think I would have a chance to get the house, did a quick Google search for "hose" and turns out a place across of the cul-de-sac i work at carried everything else I needed, and got it for free since I've helped them with things in the past. :D

Might get a chance to do this tonight. :)

9. Sep 1, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Who?

10. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    See post #142 above.

11. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    It doesn't really matter which union part number you use. You can use union part #90404-51026 or part #90404-51319. One is black and one is silver. They both thread properly into the axle housing and a clamp should be used on either of them for the hose. It's not like it won't work so why not just go with "use either one". I do agree that the 51319 silver one is better matched to the breather as far as the hose fitting the same but it won't function any worse. IMO, getting the right part number for the breather so it's not threaded and is 2 way is much more important than which union should be used. It's all good tho, main thing is to just do it.

12. Sep 16, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    Thanks for the detailed write up on how to fix the problem and great location selected for breather. Going to order parts today & have friend/mechanic install. I have read another where some1 ran 20' of 1/4 rubber hose to a huge breather element in engine compartment. I get a lot of water, snow and like to gently power wash frequently (DON'T HOLD TO CLOSE) so his fix would NEVER work for me.

Can the breather element even work after placing at the end of 20' of 1/4 hose; rediculous. Note: The part is called a breather for a reason. LOL You must drive your truck like me; my best mileage overall is 16.7 mpg. These other Toyota 4.OL owners must be driving the vehicle like grandma's to get the mileage they are getting. They should have bought a 4 cylinder (save thousands) if they are going to state, "Drive like there is an egg under the gas petal."

Note: If my truck was not under a platinum warranty and paid off I would UPGRADE to the Tundra 5.7L and guarantee I would get better mileage than I'm getting now; sometimes only 14.9 mpg and my truck is meticulously mantained. Thanks again.

QUOTE=David K;2141856]Here is the stock (threaded) breather from the differential, and the new one with the insert barb for placing at the end of a tube.

TacomaDiffBreatherMod009_2af832c50403784c2b0f5c03215fa7aeaf88b125.jpg[/QUOTE]

13. Sep 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    [/QUOTE]

Glad you liked the write up! I tried to make it as easy as it really is!

Seriously about the gas mileage quotes here!!! LOL In SoCal, with my double cab V-6, Automatic, 4WD I get 16-17 MPG typical city/ highway. If only city then my mileage is 15 point something. If only highway, then 17-18. Once I got over 19, and that was on Mexican gasoline driving back from El Rosario. My truck has a new air filter and I dumped a bottle of Techron in it a couple tanks ago... no improvement. It has 30,000 miles on it now, so I am hoping the new spark plugs it will get at the next service will help it... as it has been getting 15 more than 16 mpg in recent fill ups.

14. Sep 17, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    **Best price on fluids NOTED BELOW!
    [/QUOTE]

15. Sep 17, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Let's make sure everyone knows that LIMITED SLIP FLUID is ONLY required in 2005-2008 SPORT TRD rear differentials. Unless you have a special differential, all other factory installed Tacoma differentials are OPEN and do not require the special fluid or additive.

16. Sep 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    mikesfarm

mikesfarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 4wd Tacoma AC
    Just finished this quick mod. Thanks for the write-up. Bought the parts
    at the dealership. I put the breather near the gas fill cap.

17. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    The service dude at my dealership (Avondale,AZ) told me that the factory says only one tube of LSD lube, but he puts in 1 1/2 to 2 tubes worth on my 06 Sport. Should I be concerned?

I took it in one time because after I had the service done at the dealer on the differential (as part of a full service) I started hearing some weird noises when I made turns a few days later. Thats when he "discovered" the problem. Since then I have had no problems or noises from the diff.

18. Sep 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Me thinks you replied in a wrong thread? Nothing about LSD here.

19. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    David K

Your prior post had a statement about LSD fluid...so thats why I interjected here.

20. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    OK... I guess in the 9 pages on the breather mod, I forgot or missed it...? Anyway, better chance of getting a good answer in an LSD thread... Good luck!

To Top