Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My Differential Breather Mod Photos

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My Differential Breather Mod Photos

After getting muddy water sucked into my 2010 Tacoma differential, on the trail to/ from Mision Santa Maria in Baja California... and being instructed by HB Murphy to do the mod described here on TW... I ordered the parts from my dealer (Union & Breather for $12) and bought 6 feet of 3/8 x 5/8 yellow pressure tube from Lowes plus a couple of hose clamps.

The breather is on top/ left side of the pumpkin (rear differential) 18 inches above ground level. It is a there to allow hot gear vapors to vent. The problem is that if we cross any streams or mud pits deeper than the breather (18"), contamination can occur... and did in mine, per the tech at my dealer.

I dropped the spare tire to permit easier access (and to turn the spare over, so we can get to the air fill valve stem in the future).

I removed the stock breather with a 14 mm or 9/16 open end wrench.

I installed the union (#90404-51319) with teflon tape wrapped on the threads.

I added my 6 foot piece of 3/8 x 5/8 pressure tube (later trimming about 1 foot of excess)... having the excess made working the tube through the frame and openings easier.

I drilled a 5/8" hole in the side of the storage box on the left side of the bed.

I pulled the tube through the hole, cinch tied the run to the differential in a couple of places with extra along the route to allow for axle movement.

I cut the excess amount of tube, added the hose clamp, the breather (#90930-03136) and tightened the clamp.

DONE... High water beware!

PS, for those who are wondering... the front differntial has an extended breather, in the engine compartment... who knows why Toyota didn't do the same on the rear?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the stock (threaded) breather from the differential, and the new one with the insert barb for placing at the end of a tube.

Note that there is a chance the factory front breather we use for this mod could become blocked, perhaps from repeated contact if installed in the fuel bay, as done in another thread on this mod.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i still gotta do this!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It is easy... otherwise I may have been still doing it!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
great directions and pics! this thread should be on the cheap and free mods page!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
good job on the write up.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
great directions and pics! this thread should be on the cheap and free mods page!!!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

It's already there... # 24, 25

I do like his pic's though. Easier to see with the yellow tubing. Email Pierced Tiger and he can add your's, too.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the detailed photos. Looks great!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I re used the stock breather fitting with a female IPS to barb fitting to connect to the hose.
Is the other breather fitting better?
Mine is hiding in the fuel filler cubbie.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies everyone... mine is a little different in that I routed the breather extention tube into the truck bed's side storage compartment instead of the gasoline fill bay. I would be honored if this thread was added to the other mods list!

The new breather fits perfectly inside the 3/8" I.D. tube. Unlike the original breather, the new one does NOT have a check valve (a one way valve that lets gear fumes out, but nothing in)... That was reported already, so I was not surprised. I guess my diff. was contaminated by muddy water getting in through the axle seals...?

Having a two-way breather would act as a vacuum breaker and allow clean air to return to the differential during a negative pressure occurance (like dipping a hot differential pumpkin into a cold stream)!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

It's already there... # 24, 25

I do like his pic's though. Easier to see with the yellow tubing. Email Pierced Tiger and he can add your's, too.

oh yea I knew it was there I just really liked reading this writeup and I think this one has very descriptive pics and written directions. No offense to the authors of 24 and 25.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up, I did my breather recently as well. I see you found a factory fitting (union) that is the same size as the breathers hose end, I went through a few and could not find the right one. all though you used 3/8 hose and I measured it at 5/16.

Also you have an Off road as do I, there is also a breather for the E-locker motor, if you look under the truck you see a small tube, you can follow this to the cross member above the diff. If you look at the front breathers mounted in the engine compartment there are two. one for the diff and one for the actuator on the diff, the small breather is what I used for the rear e-locker.
edit: in photo #6 you can see the e-locker breather going into the cross member, upper right of the frame.
Here is a photo of where I mounted mine, they are in the small cubby in the front of the bed, drivers side.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Senna... Can you explain why an electric motor (E-locker) needs a breather? I wish I knew that and could run it too, or is it located high enough?...
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Thanks Senna... Can you explain why an electric motor (E-locker) needs a breather? I wish I knew that and could run it too, or is it located high enough?...
I don't know why, but decided to err on the side of caution and have it at least as high as the diff breather, plus then you know what level both are at.

On a side note I changed the diff fluid on my 03 tahoe 2wd this weekend and it had a remote breather located up by the fuel door, found that a funny coincidence .
Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #16

so now I am wondering if my 1st gen has a breather on my e-diff locker
Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
I like the yellow hose
Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I am still waiting to hear from you smart Taco mechanics why a breather for an electric motor (e-locker)?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #20

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It's so easy, a caveman can do it!

Products Discussed in this Thread