Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Stuck In Park,,, WTF?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Tacomojo is on a distinguished road
Tacomojo's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck In Park,,, WTF?

Out of the blue today I went to routinely shift out of Park to Drive and the shifter was stuck --- it would not move freely out of the gate! I literally had to beat the side of the shift lever to the right with my fist in an attempt to free the stuck shifter. Luckily, this did the trick and got me home, but I know something is obviously not right. As soon as the lever was moved back to Park, it became stuck again. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow A.M. (if I can again successfully beat the shift lever out of Park).

It's a 2008 DoubleCab, Prerunner, 2WD, TRD Sport, w/V-6 and auto tranny.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
not on my Tacoma. I had it happen on my parent's old Custom Cruiser. The switch that senses the brake lights went out and it wouldn't allow me to shift out of park because it thought my foot wasn't on the brake.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
here you go, someone else did have the problem. His was a fuse.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-parking.html
Old 07-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
there is also a shifter lock under the lil black flap beside the P on the center console. might wanna see if something is messin w/ that...check the owners manual for proper procedure on it...its in there
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, had that brake light fuse blow on my old taco (2000). There is/was an override switch someplace, but I didn't know that at the time. I don't know if the new ones have the override, but the manual may have that as well--or maybe that's the switch hodge mentioned? I should probably look that up.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
here you go, someone else did have the problem. His was a fuse.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...g-parking.html
BINGO!!!

Yep, checked the 10 amp tail light fuse under the hood and it was blown. Replaced it with the provided spare,,,, and it also blew when I hit the brake pedal. Hmmmm, all I can deduce is that (hope, hope) the wiring running from the left tail light to the A.R.E. topper's third brake light has gotten pinched (looked mashed) and is the source of the problem. Just disconnected the two wires near the splice connectors.

Now, if the wife will just get her fanny home so I can run her car to the auto parts to pick up some fuses, we should be back in business [crossing fingers]!

Thanks for the tip ----------- I hope to report success ASAP!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
woohoo! I helped! I can sleep easy tonight.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
woohoo! I helped! I can sleep easy tonight.
Yes,,,, You and Tacoma World helped in a big way!!! (Now, we can both sleep easy tonight,,, Hahaha!) Thank you so much!

So, it WAS that pinched topper brake light wire. I didn't like the cheesy appearance of it when the topper was installed --- should have made it better back in March. Oh well.

Hey, lsocoee, are you from the Ocoee area of Tennessee? We live just north of Nashville and plan to spend part of our summer vacation on the Ocoee River later this month.

Dan