Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

who bought the extended warranty for there tacoma

View Poll Results: who bought the extended warranty from the dealer?
Yes 368 58.14%
No 265 41.86%
Voters: 633. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I bought mine right before th 3/36 ran out through Troy from the link posted, I had a lot go wrong during the initial time period is the only reason why & have already use it so....
my last 3 pre-tacoma toyota truck went many, many trouble free miles.. I dunno...some here have had good luck & no issues. Mine wasn't that way
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Bought my truck used and it came with the 100,000 warranty, to be honest it seems like nothing is covered with the extended warranty.

Example, my antenna mount broke and they wanted like $150 to fix it. So I'm just going to do it myself and put a shorty on there.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
helomech is on a distinguished road

Marines: CH-53e Flightline Mechanic, HMH-465
Name: Bryan
helomech's Tacoma Gallery
Color me stupid...

I bought one from the dealership, but I guess in my overwhelming happiness of buying a new truck, I didn't pay attention to what they charged me for. Check this out.

1.) $1695.00 for 5yr/100K extended warranty (not an OEM warranty either)
2.) $663 for the "included maintenance" package.
3.) $595 for Road Hazard coverage???
And last but not least, $699 for GAP insurance (which is the only thing out of the 4 that I'm keeping).

I read back through my contract and all the fine print today, and thankfully I'm within the 60 day window to pretty much get every dime I shelled out for this back. Almost $3,000 for things I could get for less than half that between AAA and TFS (I'll be calling Troy @ Toyota of Greenfield in the near future). Lesson learned here, big time. Read the fine print.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
i've only had the truck a week but i've been thinking about this as well. i have faith in the toyota. my wifes 4 runner has 150k and it 4 years older than the truck i just bought. *knock on wood* we've never had a problem with it....

i have 6k miles left on the powertrain warranty that is on the truck. guess i'll decide then.
thanks for the thread.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by helomech View Post
I bought one from the dealership, but I guess in my overwhelming happiness of buying a new truck, I didn't pay attention to what they charged me for. Check this out.

1.) $1695.00 for 5yr/100K extended warranty (not an OEM warranty either)
2.) $663 for the "included maintenance" package.
3.) $595 for Road Hazard coverage???
And last but not least, $699 for GAP insurance (which is the only thing out of the 4 that I'm keeping).

I read back through my contract and all the fine print today, and thankfully I'm within the 60 day window to pretty much get every dime I shelled out for this back. Almost $3,000 for things I could get for less than half that between AAA and TFS (I'll be calling Troy @ Toyota of Greenfield in the near future). Lesson learned here, big time. Read the fine print.
Cancel it ALL! Even GAP insurance you can get online for much less I'm sure. Hey, Troy might even be able to give you a pointer. I imagine he knows about that too even if it's not his specialty.

I'm planning a trip to the dealer I bought my car from tomorrow. It's about an hour drive.

See my post from when I found out about my non-OEM warranty: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-fidelity.html
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
10trdgirl is on a distinguished road

Name: Becky
10trdgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I bought it because this truck has so many options.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i bought it because im WFO everywhere i go...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
KodiakVA is on a distinguished road
KodiakVA's Tacoma Gallery
There are a whole lot more electronics now then there used to be. If that stuff starts crapping out it can cost some big $.

Forget the stealership get ahold of Troy at Greenfield Toyota or Jerry at Midwest Toyota. I went to Troy and got the 8 year 100K $0 ded Plat genuine Toyota plan for $1100 for a 4x4. Don't let them sell you any 3rd party plan get the Toyota plan, and get it from one these guys if you get it at all.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #29
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Kodiak: I found out that our Southeast corner of the US is served exclusively by Fidelity's warranty services. "Southeast Toyota" (SET) sells that exclusively.

Even Troy mentioned it to me in the first email he sent back; it's known ... (and Fidelity appears to SUCK). So, if you want warranty you have no choice down here.

It's best to say no and go elsewhere like Troy (or others).
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
No way,but the dealership was pushing it hard.I almost didnt buy the truck because of the hassle.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #32
KodiakVA is on a distinguished road
KodiakVA's Tacoma Gallery
It's a pity they force you guys to get other stuff. Still skip the dealership and talk to Troy.

One way around them pushing with the hard sell at the dealership is to say that you only plan to drive it 3 or 4 years then trade it in for a new one. If you do not plan to own the vehicle for any length of time it makes no sense to spend the extra money. Even they will admit that. That will let them move on to the next overpriced crap they have.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
limeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the roughlimeyx is a jewel in the rough
Name: Nick
limeyx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakVA View Post
There are a whole lot more electronics now then there used to be. If that stuff starts crapping out it can cost some big $.

Forget the stealership get ahold of Troy at Greenfield Toyota or Jerry at Midwest Toyota. I went to Troy and got the 8 year 100K $0 ded Plat genuine Toyota plan for $1100 for a 4x4. Don't let them sell you any 3rd party plan get the Toyota plan, and get it from one these guys if you get it at all.
Seconded. Stealer wanted $1295 for 5yr/125K ("reduced" from $1795)

Midwest Toyota gave me the exact same for under $750
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #35
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
I did for my 2006 that was totaled. I will for my 2009 when I get close to the 3yr/36k miles. I bought mine from Troy in Greenfield.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #36
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2010taco View Post
I always buy the extended warrenty. some times it will pay for its self and some times it doesnt. it is the chance you take. I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. JMPO.
I look at it this way....it's a TOYOTA....I don't need an extended warranty.

This would be my 8th Toyota and any problem I ever had occured after 100,000 miles....
Old 09-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
Ted Nugent is a glorious beacon of lightTed Nugent is a glorious beacon of lightTed Nugent is a glorious beacon of lightTed Nugent is a glorious beacon of lightTed Nugent is a glorious beacon of lightTed Nugent is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Tim
Ted Nugent's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't get anything extra because if anything that expensive breaks im trading it in for a new ride...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #38
Seener84 has a spectacular aura aboutSeener84 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Sean
Seener84's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure that I should have but did. Makes me plan on keeping the truck longer to get the investment out of the warranty. Still think Toyotas standard warranty is week.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #39
kendubya is on a distinguished road
kendubya's Tacoma Gallery
I did 'cause in the past I've found them invaluable.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #40
06lttaco has a spectacular aura about06lttaco has a spectacular aura about

06lttaco's Tacoma Gallery
i bought it because most major problems happen on a car after 35k miles. so far i haven't used it much but when i have it has been great help in easying the pain of getting the bill