1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

who bought the extended warranty for there tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by leo08pirate, Sep 5, 2010.

?

who bought the extended warranty from the dealer?

1. Yes

58.1%
  2. No

41.9%
  1. May 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I didn't purchase one but they did give me a 5yr 60k mile full coverage warranty at no charge

2. Sep 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I believe in warranties IF it is "directly from the original manufacturer only" ... not regional distributor warranties and/or dealer warranties ... but only Toyota OEM Platinum Factory Warranties.

Read all the fine print on ANY warranty too ... you will be surprised on what is NOT covered and how the coverage works.

And if you buy the Toyota OEM Factory Platinum Warranty ... buy it from one of the guys here and save a lot of money for the same exact thing.

FWIW ... I bought a SET aka Fidelity Warranty on my 2009 Tacoma from a dealer (giant mistake) and when I went home and read it ... I went back within the cancellation period and got my money back for two reasons.

(1) The warranty would not do what I wanted it to and (2) I paid too much.

Then ... I found the real McCoy aka Toyota OEM warranties on here for a fraction of the cost of a dealer.

PS ... Do NOT confuse the different warranties as they vary greatly on how they work and how difficult a claim can be.

A lot of "hucus pokus" in warranties ... but if you need it, a good warranty can save your azz on a big repair ( i.e. transmission, computer).

3. Sep 27, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    I agree with a lot of what SOS Helo pilot said.. And also You need to know what kind of Factory warranty is left on your Taco -if you're buying used. Most Tacomas have, i believe, a 5y 60k powertrain, but only a 3y/36m bumper to bumper. So when you are looking to buy an "extended Warranty" you want to see how much longer that is going to cover you After the Factory warranty runs out. Also Warranties are a lot like Auto/Homeowners Insurance- they're a necessary evil. Insurance companies in general try to minimize how much they pay out in claims, which helps them stay profitable and pay their CEOs those nice fat paychecks :mad:.

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    This is my fifth Toyota truck and I did get the warranty. Toyotas are dependable, but there are a lot of electronics in them anymore. As prices go up for repairs it only made sense for me. The price fell in line with what I was looking for and I can sell it back if I don't use it. Win - win in my book. Platinum for 6 years.

5. Oct 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,

My thoughts too. I got the Platinum... unfortunately the only thing that's needed replacing so far was tail light bulb. Dam Toyota's!! :rolleyes:

6. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    kjmc

kjmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Alliston,Ontario,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD-SR5 4x4 DCAB
    Truxedo Lo-pro-Qt Sirius Radio

Read your contract. i.e. Leaf springs are not covered , however the shocks are ?

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Didn't need to use the warranty on the 2000 till about 6 months out. The starter, and of all things, the passenger seat mechanism went out. Saved me approx $1500.

8. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    I bought the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for mine because I got the supercharger and don't know how reliable it will be after a lot of miles on it

9. Oct 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    I bought the 60 mos or 100,000 miles for $2195. It has a 100 dollar deductible and I have not used it once. I have a year leftt of coverage.

10. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB

Are you able to sell it back if you don't use it? Mine was setup that way.

11. Oct 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    I believe so it gets pro rated. So if I if cancel it now I will probably get just over 400 dollars. Im scared to cancel now and have truck problem later.

12. Nov 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts
    Some people look at them as addt'l insurance, and that could be true for their particular situation, but the vast majority of the time the extended warranty is not worth the money because Toyotas are extremely reliable vehicles. There will always be a few lemons that require major work but the vast majority of Toyota owners will not have a major mechanical issue during the life of their factory or extended warranty...most major issues will occur long after the 72 months or 100K miles or whatever the extended warranty covers. I have a family member who owns a Toyota dealer and he wishes he could sell more of them because it always results in more $$$ in his pocket. Dealers make big money off extended warranties, regardless of type.

13. Nov 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Was on the fence about getting the extended warranty and at 35k, I had to decide real soon. Finally jumped on it because of the amazing deal I found from Jerry and at the same time my shifting got a little rough. My guess is that the trans takes a bit longer to warm up with the recent cold front that moved in (I say that relative to LA weather). Only notice a jerky shift for the first few miles.

14. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Trd2013taco

Trd2013taco Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    trd off road
    baught mine this wednesday and later going thru my paper work i found out i paid allmost $3k for fidelity warranty!!

15. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I didn't buy one. I have 90K on mine now. Never needed it. I did get the throw-out assembly changed at 59K under the powertrain warranty.

16. Nov 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    hahahahahaha..... got a refund on that joke...

17. Nov 30, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Paid 1100 for mine and it paid for itself.

18. Nov 30, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    SteelCityPickle

SteelCityPickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    The Burgh
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD Sport V6-6spd
    Extang Tri-Fecta Tonneau Cover
    I did, but only after beating them up till it was worth it (to me). If I would have bought new, I probably wouldn't even consider it... I'm always paranoid about how the previous owner treated the vehicle.

I've only ever bought one other extended warranty on a used car, and it ended up paying off.

19. Nov 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Nope..it would have cost me a little over a grand. Mine is a 2010 with 6600 miles, with my driving habits I'll be under 60K in 4 more years..don't see the value to it.

20. Nov 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    SteelCityPickle

SteelCityPickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    The Burgh
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD Sport V6-6spd
    Extang Tri-Fecta Tonneau Cover
    Mine is 7yr/100k on an 2011.

Products Discussed in