Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

who bought the extended warranty for there tacoma

View Poll Results: who bought the extended warranty from the dealer?
Yes 368 58.14%
No 265 41.86%
Voters: 633. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #161
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman View Post
You guys know where I can buy the extended warranty for a good price? My dealer is charging $2100 for the highest.
Typically if you wait until a short time before your factory warranty expires, Toyota, as well as others that offer this service, will usually contact you will a much better deal than they offer you at initial purchase. Do your research and look for the best coverage, and be aware of the deductibles, and how they are applied. GMPP is one of the better ones out there, but I am not sure if they offer coverage for non-GM vehicles. Fidelity is one to be cautious over. They have been known to get pretty tricky with their deductibles.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #162
RDtres is on a distinguished road
RDtres's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the appearace package warranty $1800. Dealer said covered everything interior and exterior. I tore the carpet slightly, took it in and they said sorry no coverage. I asked for my money back and they brought out three managers to try and talk me into keeping it. End of the day i was returned $1792. Moral of the story is dont buy extra anything at the dealer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #163
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Typically if you wait until a short time before your factory warranty expires, Toyota, as well as others that offer this service, will usually contact you will a much better deal than they offer you at initial purchase. Do your research and look for the best coverage, and be aware of the deductibles, and how they are applied. GMPP is one of the better ones out there, but I am not sure if they offer coverage for non-GM vehicles. Fidelity is one to be cautious over. They have been known to get pretty tricky with their deductibles.
This is good advice.

I bought my truck used in April 2012.

2009 TRD Sport w/ 16000 miles.

When I found the truck online, I asked the original owner/private seller if it had a transferable extended warranty. The seller emailed me back, and said It didn't, but it was just within 3 years of the purchase date, I think it was at 34 months. He emailed me about two hours later saying that he went down to the dealer, and bought a 8 year/75,000 mile warranty for $1100.00.

Toyota Platinum extended, 8/75000, transferable to a second owner, $0.00 deductible.

Transfer fee was $50.00, and the original owner didn't try to change the price on the truck. He just did it because I mentioned it in my initial email,and thought it would be a good thing to have.

That being said, I don't think I would've bought the warranty with the truck brand new, I would wait to do it until I approached the factory warranty expiration.

I've had the truck for 11 months, and I've only used the warranty once, to replace the AUX input ($200.00 ish repair). That was fully covered. We'll see how much I actually use it before it expires.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #164
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
I did. I bought 2. One for my Tacoma and one for a Highlander.. So my 09 Tacoma has 57k on it and never used it. The 08 Highlander has 90k on it and so far the water pump has been replace. Dealer quoted price of 800 bucks. Before they knew the car was under warranty..
At this point I am not ahead of the game.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #165
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It is not uncommon to not make the difference up. As I mentioned, it is like an insurance policy. Sometimes you end up never using it, but that one time you DON'T have it, you wish you did. lol.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #166
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Had one and was refunded after 100k because I didn't have to use it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #167
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
Had one and was refunded after 100k because I didn't have to use it.
If you buy the Toyota Platinum warranty and do not use it do you get your money back at the end?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #168
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxed View Post
If you buy the Toyota Platinum warranty and do not use it do you get your money back at the end?
It was a third party warranty through toyota. I forget what it was called.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #169
07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
07regtacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Bought it reluctantly on a 07 glad I did.Tpms went out and had some resistor ac wire burning behind the dash that paid for the warranty.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #170
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I would ONLY buy the "Toyota (Corporate) OEM Platinum Warranty" ... ... NEVER a "Toyota Distributor Regional Warranty" ... ... or any other "Aftermarket Warranty" ... ... you will be VERY glad you did this ... if it is ever needed ...

FWIW ... you can buy them on here from some Toyota dealers here at about 50% what the other dealers charge and it is the "Same Exact OEM Toyota Corp. Platinum Warranty" too.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #171
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yah, got the aftermarket warranty. If you try to make a claim they send lawyers to your house. All I wanted was to protect the A/C compressor, so I doubt that will die until I cut off the warranty.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #172
hladun is on a distinguished road
hladun's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on the way you drive. Since the total of all warranty premiums equal all warranty costs less insurer profit, if you drive long and hard then extended warranty is for you. If you don't drive long and hard you are subsidizing those who do. The guys who bash up their trucks are the ones who benefit most. It's just simple math. The best approach is then to buy a trashed truck cheap, get an extended warranty and then fight to upgrade it. I'd consider it a waste of time.