Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
HWALLEN48 is on a distinguished road
HWALLEN48's Tacoma Gallery
Maintenance light

How do you turn out that Maintenance light ??
Hal in Seattle
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #22
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWALLEN48 View Post
How do you turn out that Maintenance light ??
Hal in Seattle
From elsewhere on TW.com...

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure
Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Can we get some pics of a first gen 4 cyl? I've never done this before and I don't want to f*** it up.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #24
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Can we get some pics of a first gen 4 cyl? I've never done this before and I don't want to f*** it up.
I dont have my 2000 2.7 anymore, but the filter is near the exhaust manafold. Drain the oil, then remove the filter. Easy as pie.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I dont have my 2000 2.7 anymore, but the filter is near the exhaust manafold. Drain the oil, then remove the filter. Easy as pie.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sounds good, I'll give it a go. Thanks!
OOOOO!!!!!
You have the 2.4. I cant remember where the oil filter is on it. I think its in the same place, but Im not sure.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
OOOOO!!!!!
You have the 2.4. I cant remember where the oil filter is on it. I think its in the same place, but Im not sure.
Right, yea I didn't really read what you wrote lol but I'm sure it'll be obvious. And if not.. I don't need the oil changed RIGHT away lol
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Right, yea I didn't really read what you wrote lol but I'm sure it'll be obvious. And if not.. I don't need the oil changed RIGHT away lol
It WILL be obvious, I just cant remember the exact location. Get some rags handy, as oil will seep out when the filter is removed.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
scott214 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
scott214's Tacoma Gallery
no need for the 5/16'' tube. just punch a hole on the top of the filter with a phillips head screw driver and hammer and this breaks the suction and the oil will drain out by itself. i do it all the time with very little mess.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #30
warrantbird is on a distinguished road

Army: Chief Warrant Officer 4 (Retired)
Name: Romeo
warrantbird's Tacoma Gallery
Drain plug

Thanks for the info. I did not know that there is a drain plug by the oil filter. I just changed my oil without know the plug and I make a mess when removing the oil filter.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #31
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question

Quote:
Make sure you have all you need for your Oil Change:

Oil filter
Oil filter wrench
New oil plug gasket (available from dealer)
5.5 quarts of oil
5/16" 5ft long tube
14mm socket wrench
Oil pan
Oil funnel
Then, Fill with 5.5 Quarts of your favorite oil:

Quick question, Just purchased some Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, but for some reason grabed 10w30. Noticed you are using 5w30. Whats the difference between the two. Been a while since I had a brand new vehicle, and just always assumed 10w30.

Edumacate me..

Thanks...
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
rdcowan will become famous soon enough
rdcowan's Tacoma Gallery
Talking 5w50 -vs- 10w30

Although oils have come a long way and in general, modern premium brand oils are all very good, the wider viscosity range (5w30) is stretching the limits of the viscosity index improver additive further than the 10w30 is. In other words, the ability to maintain the 5w30 characteristics would likely breakdown before the 10w30 would. Note: I have 30 years of experience as a maintenance engineer in a chemical plant and am also a certified machinery lubrication analyst. (Doesn't mean a lot really....experience is the best teacher! )
Old 12-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Makes sense...

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #34
GEAUX TIGERS!
Meeocky is on a distinguished road
Meeocky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Meeocky Send a message via Yahoo to Meeocky
I've had a rubber fuel line hose as my drain for a few years now and it works great. I have it strapped down so it always stays on my truck. The end of the hose sticks out about 3" right past my skid plate. Once it finishes draining, I wipe the end of the hose and tuck it behind the skid plate. You'll never know its there.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #35
fendertweed will become famous soon enough
fendertweed's Tacoma Gallery
on the 2.7 the filter sits upside down so there's no filter drain, but you will get leakage so best to take a plastic bag and surround it to catch the drips as you unscrew the filter.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #36
warrantbird is on a distinguished road

Army: Chief Warrant Officer 4 (Retired)
Name: Romeo
warrantbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeocky View Post
I've had a rubber fuel line hose as my drain for a few years now and it works great. I have it strapped down so it always stays on my truck. The end of the hose sticks out about 3" right past my skid plate. Once it finishes draining, I wipe the end of the hose and tuck it behind the skid plate. You'll never know its there.

Thanks for the great information. This a great forum for new tacoma owners.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #37
PRS is on a distinguished road
PRS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm another ignorant dyi that did not know about the drain port until I asked here. The list of necessities the initial post provides does not make mention of the new plug gasket that nobody ever takes care to replace anyway. If you did want a new gasket, where do you get those plastic ones? All of mine are the soft aluminium type. I guess an "O" ring would do in a pinch.

prs
Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott214 View Post
no need for the 5/16'' tube. just punch a hole on the top of the filter with a phillips head screw driver and hammer and this breaks the suction and the oil will drain out by itself. i do it all the time with very little mess.
Being as the mount that the filter sits in/ attaches to, is cast aluminum, and when hitting the filter with a hammer and screw driver is transfering some of that energy to the mount, I dont think that is a good idea. I dont think it could take many hits before it would start to crack.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #39
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I'd one up your rep for that last comment but I already did on another one today, good point, brute force + cast aluminum(or steel for that matter) ='s more $$ and a bunch of FU#K sh*t words yelled in the garage, making your neighbors think you have Torrets
Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #40
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Only in a pinch, the crush washer(called that way back in my air cooled VW days) was a one time use, back then they were brass or copper because they are softer metals. Now aluminum washers are used. Honestly I have used the same washer for over a year with no oil leaks on the oil pan. And I hate oil leaks( I did mention I had an old VW aka oil leak a plenty)

Products Discussed in this Thread