Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #481
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blkbelt42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
thx, I've seen that. was at walmart and it's all they had was
fram, the one I got to replace it(the box) is buried in the trash so
I forgot what it was - blue box, maybe st something??
Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #482
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Possibly this one?

There's huge differences in oil filter performance and it can really pay off using a better performing oil filter -

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiTechOi...28/IH4PejX9jDQ

vs the construction of a Wix oil filter -

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiTechOi...27/6BQha9MSM-U
Oil filters are a key eliment in oil performance. We have cut open a few in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post2389585
Old 10-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #483
blkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblkbelt42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Oil filters are a key eliment in oil performance. We have cut open a few in this thread:
hey chris.

whats the price on the oem one? is it only available from the
dealer? is it that much better? thx.

edit// the one i ended up buying was super-tech
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #484
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt42 View Post
hey chris.

whats the price on the oem one? is it only available from the
dealer? is it that much better? thx.

edit// the one i ended up buying was super-tech
Buy the filters online for $4 each when purchased in quantities of 10 or more. Google the part number. I got them for $4 from my dealer due to an online coupon on their website.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #485
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Buy the filters online for $4 each when purchased in quantities of 10 or more. I got them for $4 from my dealer due to an online coupon on their website.
wow!!! awesome price, any link?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #486
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow!!! awesome price, any link?
Try these people and ebay

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/
http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyotaparts/
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #487
Quote:
Uh ohhhhhh.....
are you saying super tech isn't a SUPER filter? LOL!!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #488
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
When it comes to selecting an oil filter, look at the very high investment in $ your engine represents and choose an oil filter based on its performance and not on its price. Using better performing/higher priced oil filters pays -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cloYFhPwsHc
Thats an different filter than the OEM YZZD3. Check the link I sent you, and posted in here.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #489
Quote:
Old wise man say, "You get what you pay for".
i fgured that when I picked it up but had the itch to
change it today. i'll be picking up the oem 10 pack soon.

do you guys all use the recommended oil - sae 5w30?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #490
Quote:
Thats an different filter than the OEM YZZD3. Check the link I sent you, and posted in here.
yikes! looks like all the shit bypassed the cheap filter and went into the
engine whereas the oem seemed to contain and keep it all. wow.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #491

Quote:
yikes! looks like all the shit bypassed the cheap filter and went into the
engine whereas the oem seemed to contain and keep it all. wow.
many of the cheaper filters have poorly made bypass valves, and cheap paper media. Check out the link I posted above, on oil filter comparisons.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #492
Quote:
many of the cheaper filters have poorly made bypass valves, and cheap paper media. Check out the link I posted above, on oil filter comparisons.
i did. hard to believe how bad they perform.

question..... with the oil filters being on top of the engines in the
tacos can I just change out the filter when i pickup the oem?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #497
Quote:
Yes and top off the oil level afterwards.
thx john.....

I found: wix oil filter, Part Number: 51348
is that the correct one? are these good filters?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #498

Quote:
thx john.....

I found: wix oil filter, Part Number: 51348
is that the correct one? are these good filters?
That filter is dam near identical to the Amsoil, but uses a paper type filter media, and has about half the filtering media than the OEM Toyota Filter.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #499

Quote:
If you have a 2001-2011 Toyota Tacoma with the 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engine, yes. Reference the online Product Data Application guides links I posted.

The Wix oil filter is very high quality. Keep in mid that different oil filter brands can have different filtration media and being different, they can filter more or less effectively than competitive filters, regardless of total filtering area. A huge filtering media of 100 square yards of chicken wire will not filter as effectively as the comparatively small filtering area inside an oil filter, to give you an example. Bigger is not always better.
The amount of media gives the consumer an idea of how much total volume of debris the filter can hold and maintain good filtering capability, and good filtration. Although some filters may have media that is a little thicker, or more dense, the top layer is what generally "plugs up" first, blocking flow, and causing oil to bypass the media. So far.....Seems the OEM filter, which uses a synthetic media, seems to have about 2 times the filtering media than the others. And, seems to be the best made. Oil samples in the past have shown me that the OEM Filter keep more contaminants out of the oil than most all afteramarket filters as well. I havent sampled oil with an Amsoil filter, and a few others, but with the OEM Filter at about 4 bucks, it seems to be the best deal out there.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #500
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
YES

The answer is YES. All that talk about breaking in motors with regular oils is " old school " now.
One can switch/start to ether at any time with the lubrications we have now. & back again or mix 'em if you need to. That's what a "blend" is.
I wouldn't. But you can.
'Vettes come from the factory with full synth already in 'em.

O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorn View Post
My first four oil changes have been to a blend. Can I now change to Mobile One full Synthetic?

Products Discussed in this Thread