Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #41
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
Only in a pinch, the crush washer(called that way back in my air cooled VW days) was a one time use, back then they were brass or copper because they are softer metals. Now aluminum washers are used. Honestly I have used the same washer for over a year with no oil leaks on the oil pan. And I hate oil leaks( I did mention I had an old VW aka oil leak a plenty)
I just did an oil change, and I reused the OEM gasket. Im going to see if a leak develops and report my findings. Im with you as I HATE oil leaks, or leaks of any kind.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #42
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the gear oil change yesterday on my 5 speed, both the drain and fill pulg have the aluminum washer. I used ONE full wrap of teflon tape on both just for peace of mind. Reused the original washer. Drove all day today, no leaks.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #43
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
I over-looked Chris's DIY guide before changing my oil for the 1st time this weekend. Thanks! I noticed that he cut a M1 quart to make a funnel, and I didn't have a funnel so I did the same. The freaking plastic M1 quart threads exactly into the oil spout! I don't know if just Toyota is smart enough to figure this out, or I just never looked at previous vehicles. I may just be a dumb-ass, and the rest of the world already knew this.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #44
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
I over-looked Chris's DIY guide before changing my oil for the 1st time this weekend. Thanks! I noticed that he cut a M1 quart to make a funnel, and I didn't have a funnel so I did the same. The freaking plastic M1 quart threads exactly into the oil spout! I don't know if just Toyota is smart enough to figure this out, or I just never looked at previous vehicles. I may just be a dumb-ass, and the rest of the world already knew this.
I found this out years ago. It works on my Tacoma ( both of them) and my Dodge.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Aww no way!!! I had no idea about the M1 bottle. I always just cut a 16oz water bottle and used it as a funnel.
LOL, the thing I like about useing the M1 bottle as a funell is that it will hold a quart of M1 upside down and let it drain into the engine while Im doing something else. I dont have to sit and hold it until its empty. Not that it takes along time, but I can just dump one in it, and do something else.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #48
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
just in time on this idea too, gota change the oil this week.
I took advantage of the unseasonable temps here and changed mine today. I didn't have a crush washer since I bought a box of 10 oem filters online but the one I put on last time didn't come off when I took the drain plug out. Is this cool to reuse the one I put on last change? It didn't fall into the pan
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #49
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
I took advantage of the unseasonable temps here and changed mine today. I didn't have a crush washer since I bought a box of 10 oem filters online but the one I put on last time didn't come off when I took the drain plug out. Is this cool to reuse the one I put on last change? It didn't fall into the pan
it will be fine. i used one on my 06 2 or 3 times without a problem....no leaky!!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #51
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
it will be fine. i used one on my 06 2 or 3 times without a problem....no leaky!!
Quote:
I have never changed my washer and have never had problems, (fingers crossed)
Cool, thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #52
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I may have used the wrong term, the crush washer was used in the Volkswagen air cooled oil change(imagine a washer that is hollow) once you applied pressure (torque)to it, it "crushed down", almost like a lock washer, helping the drain plug to seal. Those were one time used items. On the tacoma the washer may just act like a washer, spreads the clamping power over a larger area. I think the dealership and books say to buy a new one with every oil change but then again , they want your money, albeit .98 cents.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #53

bump.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #54
andyfontaine1972 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: andy
andyfontaine1972's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome info, too late for the first time but greatly appreciated!! next itme I'll know
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #55
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
how do you reset the computer after an oil change?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellis View Post
how do you reset the computer after an oil change?
Put the key in the ignition, push and hold down the ODO button, turn key past the Accs. to the "ON" position, and wait until the ODO goes to "00000".
Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #57
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, just in case no one saw the DIY Thread/Sticky. Awesome info. Doing it myself this next go round. I had been letting the dealer do it since I have had some problems with Express Oil Change, but I am going to save my money and more importantly make sure it is done right! Thanks for the info Chris!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #58
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
oil change and greasing...

are there grease fittings we should be greasing with each oil change ? 06 DC 4x4....

thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammikm View Post
are there grease fittings we should be greasing with each oil change ? 06 DC 4x4....

thanks
Some Tacomas have grease fittings along the drive shaft, in the "U" joints, others dont. Take a look at your "U" joints, and feel around for a grease zerk. If you feel one, give it a little grease.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #60
mcoffeen is on a distinguished road
mcoffeen's Tacoma Gallery
What is the best way to remove the oil filter drain plug? Does it unscrew or just pull off? Neither seem to be working for me.

Products Discussed in this Thread