Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #641
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
anyone tried using a taller Oil filter?
Wix stock size filter
Same filter as above just taller
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #642
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
Wix stock size filter
I don't see what's wrong with doing that.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #643
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
it comes close to my battery, ill just have to get both and see how close it gets
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #644
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
Wix stock size filter
yeah, it fits

you'll see though that the filtering on the 1516 is a little different, by all indications better

I've used it before and have one sitting waiting for my next oil change
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #645
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Okay guys how often are you changing out synthetic oil? Its been 4k miles since I changed to synthetic as soon as I hit 5k im going to change out oil and filter again?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #646
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I change at 5K.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #647
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hows castrol synthetic? i think ima switch off of mobil 1 its so expensive paid 60 in just oil today.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #648
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Hows castrol synthetic? i think ima switch off of mobil 1 its so expensive paid 60 in just oil today.
That's what I'm using... the castrol syntec... it was recommended by several family members.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #649
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't know what part of TN you're in, but here in middle TN Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $26.00. Throw in another quart and you're at $35 or so total.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #650
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Don't know what part of TN you're in, but here in middle TN Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $26.00. Throw in another quart and you're at $35 or so total.
x2, in AR

and you can get the OEM filter at the dealership for $4, which puts my oil changes <$40
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #651

mobil 1 synthetic? mines 36 for a 5 quart jug
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #652
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, that's a lot. Well under $30 here too.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #653
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Yeah, that's a lot. Well under $30 here too.
It depends where you buy it. I have seen it for as much as $36 and as little as $25. You also have to be careful, some places sell it in 4.78 qts. and others up to 5.28 qts., so it can be tricky price comparing. Wal Mart sells 5.0 qts. for under $30.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #654
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Yep I always buy oil from walmart and filter elsewhere.

5qt of castrol mobil or valvoline synthetic, whichever is cheaper or whatever I might have an extra quart of at home.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #655
foreman is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
The 4.0 is the easiest oil change ever. Lubing the drive shaft can be a little frustrating since I always seem to park with the fittings up so crawl out roll it back just what i think is enough and darned if it isn't on top again, RRRRRRRR
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #656
photonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud of
Name: John
photonashville's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
The 4.0 is the easiest oil change ever. Lubing the drive shaft can be a little frustrating since I always seem to park with the fittings up so crawl out roll it back just what i think is enough and darned if it isn't on top again, RRRRRRRR
You can rotate the shaft by hand.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #657
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
one comment and one question...
did my trucks first oil change, 3300 miles... (break in) and put it on M1 5w-30... i also swapped the drain plug and used the gold magnetic one referenced in this thread.

what's perplexing is...
the truck calls for 5.5 quarts (5.2 liters), the M1 jug is 5.28 quarts (5 liters)... the truck should need a little more oil, (i bought an additional quart...), i started the truck, ran it, shut it down, and the dip stick is reading at the top dot... i waited long enough to refill it... it should be coming up a little short, no?

the effing filter was on gorilla tight, needed to use my emergency oil wrench to get it off...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #658
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
one comment and one question...
did my trucks first oil change, 3300 miles... (break in) and put it on M1 5w-30...

whats perplexing is...
the truck calls for 5.5 quarts (5.2 liters), the M1 jug is 5.28 quarts (5 liters)... the truck should need a little more oil, (i bought an additional quart...), i started the truck, ran it, shut it down, and the dip stick is reading at the top dot... i waited long enough to refill it... it should be coming up a little short, no?

the effing filter was on gorilla tight, needed to use my emergency wrench to get it off...

.2 Liters is only 6.7 ounces of oil. Did you let it drain for an extended time or just until it started dripping? No offense meant. I think you're A-OK on the oil quantity.

Yep, every time I've removed a factory installed oil filter it's been difficult due to it being really tight. Gute-N-tite (German Torque)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #659
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
I just started the oil change and noticed that the dealership didn't put the rubber drain plug back on the oil filter assembly. It's little...and big...things like this that really get me pissed off about the way dealerships treat your vehicles.
Just tie a 5/16" clear hose to the drain fitting permanently. Secure the hose with zip ties to keep it away from the radiator fan and belts.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #660
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks scrabble, the dip stick is spot on but Im holding this unopened quart scratching my head

I let it drain until all the dripping stopped. At least to less than a drop per every few seconds.

So I'll just go w the one large jug then and won't add anymore.

Aside from quantity confusion and the crazy tight filter, it was one of the easiest changes I've done.

Products Discussed in this Thread