LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #701
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
dafuq?
Lol. Dafuq is right!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #702
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this thread! My warranty is up on my 2011 and I'm gonna try changing the oil myself for the first time!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #703
MagneticTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: AT2
Name: Kiel
MagneticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #704
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Chris 4x4! Subbed and I will definitely be doing this next time. I can admit that I've never done an oil change myself yet...first time for everything!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #705
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #706
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
For anyone reading this thread and worried about the crush washer on the oil pan, dont! My truck is 10yrs old and is still using the original from the factory w/no leak of anykind. Same for the diffs and transfer case.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #707
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
For anyone reading this thread and worried about the crush washer on the oil pan, dont! My truck is 10yrs old and is still using the original from the factory w/no leak of anykind. Same for the diffs and transfer case.
Then it's not a 2nd gen but yes, the crush gasket is fine for multiple uses if it's not cracked or warped.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #708
YotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
YotatechMatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo5 View Post
Here's what I found under my oil cap, should I be concerned or do anything about this?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about it either, some new Tacoma's coming in for their first oil change have condensation on the oil cap.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #709
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then it's not a 2nd gen but yes, the crush gasket is fine for multiple uses if it's not cracked or warped.
Just did a change on the wife's 4Runner at 40K miles, I had never changed the gasket -- never really have on other vehicles, and no leaks. The gasket was stuck pretty good to the oil pan, took a while to knock it off. So if it did get a leak, you could mess up the pan getting it off. I would suggest changing it at least every other change as cheap insurance.

I had just taken my Taco in for the free 20K service and to check the brake squeal issue covered by a new TSB (I just have them give me the filter and gasket and change it with synthetic myself, let them rotate the tires and check alignment). While I was there I stopped by parts to buy 10 of the gaskets and they just gave them to me for free. So for me, it is free insurance. Got a case of Toyota filters off of eBay for $44 shipped, so I am set for a while now. AutoZone has good $10-off coupons on the 5-quart jugs, too, so I stock up when they send them.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #712
YotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer75 View Post
Does this pic assume the skid plate is already removed? I'm assuming I need to remove skid plate to do this right?
On your '11 there is no need to remove the skid plate, unless you have an aftermarket skid plate installed, even though most have a hole so you can read the drain plug with a ratchet extension and a 14mm socket. And the filter is on top on the V6, and easily assessable on top of the exhaust on the 4 cyl.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #713
caseychai is on a distinguished road

Name: casey
caseychai's Tacoma Gallery
crap. just changed my oil, didnt know there was a cap at the bottom of the oil filter. i just soaked it all up with paper towels. hahaha
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #714
rjp106 is on a distinguished road
rjp106's Tacoma Gallery
Try reaching in from the outside Drivers
Side behind tire.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #715
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp106 View Post
Try reaching in from the outside Drivers
Side behind tire.
for what?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #716
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseychai View Post
crap. just changed my oil, didnt know there was a cap at the bottom of the oil filter. i just soaked it all up with paper towels. hahaha
What we use at work is a oil quart bottle cut in half to catch the running oil. I usually remove the black cap before unscrewing the filter (less mess that way).
I recommend using a bottle of Mobil 1 cut in half the top of the bottle screws in the Toyota filler neck ( ahh ha! We now have a funnel!) and you can use the bottom half to catch the oil.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #717
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
for what?
He has a first gen.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #718
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
He has a first gen.
I know, was wondering if he realized it and where he was.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #719
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know, was wondering if he realized it and where he was.
It would be a hell of a reach on a second gen

Products Discussed in this Thread