4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #721
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
Some Food for Thought!

I wonder how many here change their oil and let it drain back down from the filter
through the engine and not use the drain valve next to the filter. I think the worst of the worst is going to be right their at the filter and you should drain it from the valve.
just sayin
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #722
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, one more thing I noticed.
All the post I've read about your dip sticks not reading correctly. My truck is brand new and I'm assuming the oil is topped off correctly, but when I check mine it's half way up the stick. It's probably not reading correctly because the dip stick is touching the side of the
dip stick tube and getting oil on it. After several attempts to check the oil, wiping the stick
off each time it finally came out reading right at the second dot.

I'll be changing my oil soon and I'll be pouring the old oil back into the quart bottles after I put the new oil in. That way I'll see exactly what's in their.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #723
DARMS is on a distinguished road

Army: Ret
DARMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
what size is the filter cap remover
72mm
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #724
hutch606 will become famous soon enoughhutch606 will become famous soon enough
hutch606's Tacoma Gallery
Is there anything that needs to be lubed other than engine oil? Front end suspension etc?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #725
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, cool even. What an easy oil change! Filter up top, with it's own little drain, drain plug accessable with out removing the skid plate, just an easy change. Even resetting the mait' light was easy.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #726
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Wow, cool even. What an easy oil change! Filter up top, with it's own little drain, drain plug accessable with out removing the skid plate, just an easy change. Even resetting the mait' light was easy.
Yep, really easy oil & filter change on our 2nd Generation Tacoma's. Probably the easiest oil/filter change of all the trucks I've owned.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #727
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch606 View Post
Is there anything that needs to be lubed other than engine oil? Front end suspension etc?
If you figure out how to lube up the front end suspension, you let me know 4wd models have grease zerks on the drive shaft u-joints. Besides those, just differentials and transfer case.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #728
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, but how much oil should I expect to drain during an oil change, assuming I add Chris's 5.5 qts when I refill?

Also, since my oil filter holder is missing the rubber stopper on the bottom, is there some reason I shouldn't get a length of hose (engine appropriate material, of course) and route it down below to the underside of the vehicle, and leave it there?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #729
padean is on a distinguished road
Name: dean
padean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
(See 3.4L 5VZ 1st Gen oil change for 1st Gen Tacomas)

The oil filter for the 2.7 second gen is: 90915-YZZG1 (the following part numbers are equivalent:
90915-YZZG1, 08922-02011, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD1-DS)

Oil filter for the 4.0 second gen is: 90915-YZZD3

Make sure you have all you need for your Oil Change:

Oil filter
Oil filter wrench
New oil plug gasket (available from dealer)
5.5 quarts of oil
5/16" ID 5ft long tube
14mm socket wrench
Oil pan
Oil funnel

Remove the plug at the bottom of the filter holder:

Connect a 5/16" 5 foot long tube to the filter drain, and run it to your Oil catch pan. Useing a filter wrench, remove the filter:

Clean the filter mount to get the dirty oil that sleft in it, out.:

Put the filter holder plug back on. Lube the new filter seal with a light film of oil:

Install the new filter. Hand tight, then 1/4 turn:

Get a 14mm socket, and find the Oil drain plug under the truck:

After breaking it loose, remove it and let the oil drain out:

After the Oil drains out, with a new gasket on the drain plug, reinstall the plug in the Oil pan and torque to 30 lb-ft:

Then, Fill with 5.5 Quarts of your favorite oil:

Run the engine for a couple of mins. and check the level:

Dont forget to recycle your used motor oil.
Many Auto parts store will accept your used motor oil for recycling. Check you phone book.

Great photos, have been changing my own oil since 1961,BTW I have never drained the oil filter plug on my 2.7, why would I need to?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #730
deerslayer75 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
deerslayer75's Tacoma Gallery
great thread! I am going to be doing this now since my 2 years scheduled maintenance is up. I assume you don't have a skid plate on your truck? Does anyone know if that has to be removed to access the oil drain plug?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #731
jth523 is on a distinguished road
Navy: fighter pilot (F-4)
jth523's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011. You do not have to remove the skid plate.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #732
mayan2k12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
mayan2k12's Tacoma Gallery
Any Pics on how to check and replace transmission fluid on a standard tocoma 4x4
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #733
greyzland is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
greyzland's Tacoma Gallery
Resetting Maintenance Reqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
From elsewhere on TW.com...

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure
I tried this 5 times now in my 2011 Tacoma DC after I did the oil change, and the Maintenance Reqd won't reset..this is exactly the instructions in the car manual.... any other options??
Does it make a difference if I use a Purolator oil filter??
Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #734
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyzland View Post
I tried this 5 times now in my 2011 Tacoma DC after I did the oil change, and the Maintenance Reqd won't reset..this is exactly the instructions in the car manual.... any other options??
Does it make a difference if I use a Purolator oil filter??
Needs to be on "trip A"
And that filter is garbage.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #735
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
Needs to be on "trip A"
And that filter is garbage.
What he said. The procedure is the same but in either 2010 or 2011 they changed it so you need it on Trip A instead of Odometer to reset it.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #736
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayan2k12 View Post
Any Pics on how to check and replace transmission fluid on a standard tocoma 4x4
This thread should help you: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...id-change.html
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #737
MBentz is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Prior Military
MBentz's Tacoma Gallery
I apologize if this has been answered, but is anyone using an oil extractor to change their oil?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #738
greyzland is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
greyzland's Tacoma Gallery
B737, BjBoucher...thanks...I did it....I will not use Purolator next time....
Old 09-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #739
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone here runs valvoline full syn?
Debating on Valv or mobile 1 extended perf....

Valv is tad bit cheaper than mobile 1 extended perf
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #740
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
From elsewhere on TW.com...

To reset you Maintenance Required light:
1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown.

2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset knob.

Hold down the knob for at least 5 second. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

NOTE: You will see a series of dashes that count down while the system resets itself

If the system fails to reset, the light will continue to flash!

You must re-perform the procedure
Does anyone know when the maintence light turns on, like how many miles/km's. I have done 2 oil changes and nothing has come on yet, and I haven't reset anything. Keep forgetting and saying i'll do it at the next oil change

Products Discussed in this Thread