Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #761
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBiscuit14 View Post
I was changing my oil last night for the first time since buying my truck. I noticed that when I removed the old oil filter, virtually no oil drained out. I'm guessing that could be because the way the filter is positioned....since the truck had been sitting for a few hours, maybe the oil drained out? Which leads me to believe that the POS filter that the non-Toyota dealer put on for the last change may not have had an anti-drainback valve. Do you think this is the case or is there some concern not having any oil draining from the filter?
I used a Toyota OEM filter for my change after reading some reviews on here.
I use Toyo OE filters and when I remove mine, even after a couple hours waiting for it to cool off some, I get a small pool of oil in the catch around the filter.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #762
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBiscuit14 View Post
I was changing my oil last night for the first time since buying my truck. I noticed that when I removed the old oil filter, virtually no oil drained out. I'm guessing that could be because the way the filter is positioned....since the truck had been sitting for a few hours, maybe the oil drained out? Which leads me to believe that the POS filter that the non-Toyota dealer put on for the last change may not have had an anti-drainback valve. Do you think this is the case or is there some concern not having any oil draining from the filter?
I used a Toyota OEM filter for my change after reading some reviews on here.
I use toyota filters and usually only get a few ounces out of the filter.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #763
Remember to lube your brake pads and tire treads!
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, I used to exclusively use Mobil 1, but since i switched to Penzoil Platinum, I have had zero metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. Engine seems to run quieter as well. YMMV
Old 12-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #764
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this up. Although an oil change isn't rocket science, I'm no mechanic....Lol

My 13 is still under the free maintenance plan, but I hate wasting my time getting to the dealership and enjoy doing my own work. Also switched up to Mobil 1.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #765
parallel60 is on a distinguished road
parallel60's Tacoma Gallery
Going to do my first Oil Change on my new(used) Tacoma 4.0L V6. I bought Castrol Edge Synthetic Oil and a Toyota filter from the dealer. Anyone had any issues with Castrol Oil?

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #766
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Others can chime in about the Castrol, but the majority of people here on TW are avid users of the Mobil 1 product. And welcome to TW!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #767
quantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shedquantum is one of the sharper tools in the shed

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
i switched from Mobil1 to Pennzoil Platinum and the engine idles quieter and last time i change oil the magnetic drain plug had NOTHING on it.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #768
Thanks for the Welcome, yep I've been hearing that most use Mobil one. And its about half the price of Castrol in Canada so after this one I will probably switch to Mobil 1 SYN.

Quantum, so you had some metal with Mobil 1?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #769

quantum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel60 View Post
Thanks for the Welcome, yep I've been hearing that most use Mobil one. And its about half the price of Castrol in Canada so after this one I will probably switch to Mobil 1 SYN.

Quantum, so you had some metal with Mobil 1?
not alot, but some, but since i switched to PP there has been none
Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #770
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
not alot, but some, but since i switched to PP there has been none
I wonder if it's good or bad? Bad = metal shavings still suspended in the oil causing damage. Good = "higher viscosity" keeping parts from wearing and creating shavings.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #771
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel60 View Post
Going to do my first Oil Change on my new(used) Tacoma 4.0L V6. I bought Castrol Edge Synthetic Oil and a Toyota filter from the dealer. Anyone had any issues with Castrol Oil?

Thanks
Mike
I used nothing but Castrol Syntec in my 08 PreRunner and started with it in my '10 until they phased out Syntec for Edge. All the numbers were showing... Edge is crappy oil that doesn't protect. Read up on bobistheoilguy.com and there's plenty of Blackstone Lab reports showing how poor Edge was protecting. The 4.0's do like Mobil One and constantly show good lab results with the 4.0... so that's what I switched too for the last 60 or so thousend miles.

The Toyota filters are some of the best filtering as well, basically a WIC filter. I run K&N on my truck mainly because... I like the 1" welded on nut and it performs very adequately.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #772
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I've been sticking with the Toyota filters as well. Toyota filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic
Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #773
Ok thanks for the info, will go with Castrol on this one and the Toyo Filter then most likely swap to Mobil 1.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #774
rookie
ryan c is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys this might have been asked somewhere but I didn't read all 39 pages. Sorry lol. Ive changed my oil about 10 times now and have always just put in 5 qts. Not 5.5 qts. Could this cause damage? My dipstick is always in the middle. Its an 06 4x4. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #775
vanlancf is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
vanlancf's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused by the picture.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #776
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
I used nothing but Castrol Syntec in my 08 PreRunner and started with it in my '10 until they phased out Syntec for Edge. All the numbers were showing... Edge is crappy oil that doesn't protect. Read up on bobistheoilguy.com and there's plenty of Blackstone Lab reports showing how poor Edge was protecting. The 4.0's do like Mobil One and constantly show good lab results with the 4.0... so that's what I switched too for the last 60 or so thousend miles.

The Toyota filters are some of the best filtering as well, basically a WIC filter. I run K&N on my truck mainly because... I like the 1" welded on nut and it performs very adequately.
I must be missing something, but I've been reading bobistheoilguy and am not finding where it says Edge doesn't protect. Everything I've read, says it's a good oil. Do you have a specific location where it says the Edge isn't as good? I've been using Edge and will discontinue it's use, if I can see what you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #777
AznTRD is on a distinguished road

AznTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this has been posted before, but this was a pretty good comparison of motor oils

http://www.goodoil4u.com/comparative...l_testing.html
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #778
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
I must be missing something, but I've been reading bobistheoilguy and am not finding where it says Edge doesn't protect. Everything I've read, says it's a good oil. Do you have a specific location where it says the Edge isn't as good? I've been using Edge and will discontinue it's use, if I can see what you mentioned. Thanks.
Honestly I don't remember. There were a bunch of threads on it when it first came out and started phasing out syntec. It was not tacoma specific. I was also following 3000gt and g35 / 350z stuff around there too
Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #779
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I used Castrol GTX for years (3000 mile intervals) and switched to Castrol Syntec (now Edge) several years back and have been doing 5000 mile intervals. The 22R-E in my '92 was pristine at 130K miles on conventional oil. Honestly, I think GTX would be fine at 5000 mile intervals, I just like the (possibly perceived) start-up protection of synthetic. I will continue to use Castrol and not be worried.

I couldn't find any info on BobIsTheOilGuy either, but I might be convinced to change to Mobil 1 if there was some verifiable information on it being significantly better. That other site seemed like an Amsoil rep put it up. If I can't get it at AutoZone, I am not going to mess with it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #780
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Honestly I don't remember. There were a bunch of threads on it when it first came out and started phasing out syntec. It was not tacoma specific. I was also following 3000gt and g35 / 350z stuff around there too
Ok..... thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
I used Castrol GTX for years (3000 mile intervals) and switched to Castrol Syntec (now Edge) several years back and have been doing 5000 mile intervals. The 22R-E in my '92 was pristine at 130K miles on conventional oil. Honestly, I think GTX would be fine at 5000 mile intervals, I just like the (possibly perceived) start-up protection of synthetic. I will continue to use Castrol and not be worried.

I couldn't find any info on BobIsTheOilGuy either, but I might be convinced to change to Mobil 1 if there was some verifiable information on it being significantly better. That other site seemed like an Amsoil rep put it up. If I can't get it at AutoZone, I am not going to mess with it.
^this. Used to use castrol and change 2500 - 3000 miles, had to change when I had the chance. Actually, even with the Syntec, I'd change the same mile interval. Most of my driving was 2100 - 2400 miles at a time (over 3 days) and figured it was cheap insurance and didn't want to go over 5000.

Products Discussed in this Thread