Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Question 4.0L 1GR 2nd Gen Oil Change Guide

(See 3.4L 5VZ 1st Gen oil change for 1st Gen Tacomas)

The oil filter for the 2.7 second gen is: 90915-YZZG1 (the following part numbers are equivalent:
90915-YZZG1, 08922-02011, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD1-DS)

Oil filter for the 4.0 second gen is: 90915-YZZD3

Make sure you have all you need for your Oil Change:

Oil filter
Oil filter wrench
New oil plug gasket (available from dealer)
5.5 quarts of oil
5/16" ID 5ft long tube
14mm socket wrench
Oil pan
Oil funnel

Remove the plug at the bottom of the filter holder:

Connect a 5/16" 5 foot long tube to the filter drain, and run it to your Oil catch pan. Useing a filter wrench, remove the filter:

Clean the filter mount to get the dirty oil that sleft in it, out.:

Put the filter holder plug back on. Lube the new filter seal with a light film of oil:

Install the new filter. Hand tight, then 1/4 turn:

Get a 14mm socket, and find the Oil drain plug under the truck:

After breaking it loose, remove it and let the oil drain out:

After the Oil drains out, with a new gasket on the drain plug, reinstall the plug in the Oil pan and torque to 30 lb-ft:

Then, Fill with 5.5 Quarts of your favorite oil:

Run the engine for a couple of mins. and check the level:

Dont forget to recycle your used motor oil.
Many Auto parts store will accept your used motor oil for recycling. Check you phone book.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
what size is the filter cap remover
I cant remember.....
I have a set, and its the medium one.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #4

BUMP. I think this is a good idea.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i think ita a good idea too. we should make this a sticky!!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Crap.. that's how the oil comes out of that resevior... I used the 'ol soak it up with a rag technique.. (no wise a*s remarks please...)..
Also just picked up a craftsman oil filter adapter that adapts to various sized filters..
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info about the plug at the bottom of the filter holder. I have not change my oil yet since I only have 1,100 miles. I never knew that was there thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
This would be a good sticky
Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
running a tube to the bottom of the filter holder is a good idea...I just coverd the thing with a plastic wal mart bag...free...easy...
Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
running a tube to the bottom of the filter holder is a good idea...I just coverd the thing with a plastic wal mart bag...free...easy...
agreed. I have just been using a 16oz water bottle, but still end up spilling it some times, going to get some tubing for the next time for sure! Bump for Sticky or for other people.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Flyguy is on a distinguished road
Flyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Plug

As you face the oil drain plug on your back ,as your feet extend out from under the front grill ,It still is lefty Loise- rightie tighty right? Would really hate to strip that sucker.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
As you face the oil drain plug on your back ,as your feet extend out from under the front grill ,It still is lefty Loise- rightie tighty right? Would really hate to strip that sucker.
Yep! If it helps, set the ratchet before turning the bolt, just to be safe.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Just playin' on the runways
MT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of light

Army: SPC(CA), Installation Support Command JFTB Los Alamitos, California State Military Reserve
Name: Clint
MT_mudflaps's Tacoma Gallery
I should've looked at this last night before I changed the oil for the first time -- oh well!
Good post though!!!! I agree it should be sticky-fied!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I sure wish my oil filter was that easy to get to! ( I have the 3.4) I like that little shield that is around the base of the filter.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDFPTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Josh
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, I didn't know about the filter drain thingy. That'll save a mess in the future...
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDFPTaco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Josh
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody know the part numbers for the larger size mobile 1 oil filter???
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I made a huge mess when i changed my oil last month...I never knew that little plug was under the filter...I did what raycie did...I had to mop it up with paper towels and rags...

See....You learn something new every day...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #19
perniva1978 is on a distinguished road
perniva1978's Tacoma Gallery
I used to do my own oil changes since I was in high school (1994) until I got to own my 2004 Tacoma V6. I did 1 oil change and then I gave up. It's too uncomfortable. Looks like your pictures are for a 4-cylinder Tacoma and it might be easier than changing the oil on a V6.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by perniva1978 View Post
I used to do my own oil changes since I was in high school (1994) until I got to own my 2004 Tacoma V6. I did 1 oil change and then I gave up. It's too uncomfortable. Looks like your pictures are for a 4-cylinder Tacoma and it might be easier than changing the oil on a V6.
Welcome to Tacoma WOrld! The pics are from the 1GR-FE V6.

Products Discussed in this Thread