1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

no transmission service???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Grande, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    Grande

Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    ok, so i got a used tacoma last month, so i was planning on serviceing the transmision since when im coasting to a red light it seems like its wanting to downshift too early but it doesnt, its kinda feels similer to braking with a clucth if u drive a stick, so i thought about changing the filter and fluid, so i bought the kit with the filter and gasket, and my friend is telling me that our transmissions are nonserviceable and can only change the filter if i do an overhaul on my trany, and that i shouldnt need to service it until 100,0000. so i dunno what to do and he told me that no place would even touch my truck. Is his true what he is saying? any tips on what could be causeing my trany problems, i really wana get it fixed b4 it gets worse, oe im i gona hav to do an overhaul on my trany. if it helps i got an 06 auto 5 speen. any knowledge on our tranys would be great and get me back on track....personanly i think my friend doesnt kno what he talking about since ppl on here service their own tranys, at home at that.

2. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The description you are giving sounds like normal operation of the tranny. Its designed to mimmick an manual tranny, and give engine braking. Correct that the tranny is not a user servicable unit.

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Check to see if you've simply got a tranny dipstick (red handle).

If you do. Change that stuff. If you don't, don't do anything. No dipstick indicates a "sealed" system.

If you have a tranny with a dipstick, use T-IV fluid (castrol multi-vehicle import fluid)

Toyota will usually put drain plugs on the tranny's in their suvs/trucks. (They put a drain plug on most all their tranny's but thats another matter.)

Typically with Toyota trucks/suvs, they've inserted the tranny dipstick tube into the side of the actual tranny pan so if you want to remove the pan, you have to remove the dipstick tube...NOT WORTH IT. Just drain the stuff and refill it.

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    well that kinda lifted some weight off my back, hopefully its nothin bad and its just normal operation of the trany, it just feels werid u kno? it feels like its tryin to do sumthin but it cant(the trany). i guess its cuz i didnt buy fresh off the stealership and got it used so i thought it might need to be serviced.

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    2005 and newer automatics are a sealed tranny with synthetic fluid, serviced at 100,000 miles. I would not risk taking it to anyone other than a certifed Toyota tranny mechanic, if you have a problem.

My 2005 went 102,000 miles (yes, I had the tranny flushed and changed at 100,000 miles or just before) without any problems when I traded it for my 2010.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yep, thats y i was gona take to toyota for them to fix/look at it. does everyone have the symthoms of there trany that i described when i started this thread

7. Sep 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The Service Interval was lowered from 100,000 to 60,000 miles

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    yes i read that too somewhere, and im at 48.

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Strongly disagree.

Whats that little red handled dipstick then back near the firewall on the driver side?

The V6 stuff might be sealed, but mine sure ain't (Trust me, I know, I work in a shop)

If you can see inside the white circle, that would be the tranny dipstick on the I4, 2nd Gen.

2008-Toyota-Tacoma-i02.jpg

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Totally different tranny in the 2.7. The 2.7 tranny is an un sealed unit.

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM
    HuskerTom

HuskerTom Go Big Red !!!!

Member:
    Gitmo Nation East
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport Crew Cab 4X4, Cement Gray
    Yup, I have an '09 DC Sport and when I let off the gas to coast to a stop it 'feels' like the tranny is slowing me down. Weird feeling after coming out of a sports car with a manual tranny, but you'll get used to it....

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    X2, the tranny automatically downshifts as you go down a hill and don't touch the gas pedal... if you are not wanting the truck to slow down, then just give it some gas and it will up shift.

13. Sep 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    My apologies that I came off a little brash in my responses.

14. Sep 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    TacoToby

TacoToby New Member

Member:
    Fairmont,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    WeatherTech side window deflectors, Stampede bug shield,Tacoma mats,Draw-Tite hitch receiver,legal tint
    Bought my 09 Tacoma 6300 k last month. Auto tranny took some getting used to. Feels like it is "hunting" for the right gear sometimes, particularly after slowing down from about third gear, then hitting the gas again. Having experienced getting used to Honda variable speed transmissions a few years back, I wasnt too worried but did take it in under warranty to verify. Dealer said it was fine by test drive and service tech told me her 08 Tundra does the same thing. Seems a little crude compared to my 05 work silverado with 90k and my dads 08 Silverado that are both smooth as silk (not to mention my 94 4runner!) but I am betting I will be fine in the long run.

15. Sep 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:

o ok cool, so im not the only one, whheewww, lol

Products Discussed in

To Top