Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Overhead Console and Clock Lights Too Dim

Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
TDE is on a distinguished road
TDE's Tacoma Gallery
Overhead Console and Clock Lights Too Dim

Anybody else out there notice that the overhead console and clock illumination is way too dim? I have a 2008. Most of the time I have to move my head over to the center of the cab to see overhead console. Forget about seeing anything on either display if you are wearing sun glasses. I also noticed that the Fog Light switch doesn't light up (or it too is very dim) so it makes it difficult to know if you have them on or off.

Any suggestions to improve illumination?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
That was one of my first complaints when I got my 08 (Oct 07). When it is bright outside I can't see clock or temp! ! I don't approve of the whole inst. cluster thing at all. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it
Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I didn't notice it at first.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Billy Reuben
Punisher has a spectacular aura aboutPunisher has a spectacular aura about
Punisher's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, my 08 seems fine. You don't have your lights on in daytime do you?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
do u have the dimmer toggle turned all the way up? i cant stand the bright red lights, especially at night, so i have it dimmed down so low that its where the lights darely kick on
Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
My clock is fine, never had a problem seeing it. The temp though is faint and at times hard to see. Can't see the fog light switch light at all during the day. Can see it just fine at night.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #7
TDE's Tacoma Gallery
My observations were daytime. Illumination is just fine at night, and dimmer switch was all the way up.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
TDE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Interesting, my 08 seems fine. You don't have your lights on in daytime do you?

Thank you for pointing that out. You are correct; All dash/overhead lights dim when the light switch is on. Question for Toyota -WHY? There are some of us that for safety reasons like to run our lights during the daytime. I would just as soon control the illumination through the dimmer switch.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
DoNoEvil is on a distinguished road
DoNoEvil's Tacoma Gallery
The brightness is not controlled by the dash light dimmer control.

I run with my lights and was wishing the temp/compass display was brighter, so I disabled the auto-dim by pulling the GREEN wire from the connector.

See http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ss-dimmer.html