1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dragsterhund, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    dragsterhund

dragsterhund [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab V6 4.0L
    Hi everyone, This is my first post on the board.

I have a 2005 Access Cab 4x4 V6 w/ stock 16 inch steel wheels. I tow a few trailers (5x8 open trailer and a 16 foot enclosed trailer) with motorcycles on them to and from the track pretty regularly. I'd like some bigger brakes to increase stopping power. It isn't as much of an issue with the open trailer but I can definitely feel the enclosed trailer "push" the truck when I'm stopping.

I've read about gen 1 tacos being able to accept the brake calipers and rotors from a Tundra. I was going to with the Tundra calipers, rotors, steel brake lines, and EBC pads (incidentally, I use EBC SS pads on my racebikes). A few questions:

1. Will that upgrade work on my 05 gen II?
    2. Will the calipers fit inside those wheels?
    3. Would just upgrading to steel lines and EBC pads provide enough of an upgrade to make the performance/cost/effort of doing everything not as attractive?

Thanks for your help!

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    dragsterhund

dragsterhund [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab V6 4.0L
    bumppity bump

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would start small- Fresh Fluid (DOT4 maybe), SS lines, new pads. If that isn't enuf....Try new normal size rotors.
    Still not enuf...Then keep working.

Also- Does your trailer have any sort of braking??

Products Discussed in

To Top