1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenace to get to 200k miles

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by singletrackrider1, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    singletrackrider1

singletrackrider1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5 4wd
    Ok folks, I read through some of the other posts, found some info. that was helpful, but felt that it would be ok to start a new thread.

I have a 2002 Tacoma, SR5, 4wd, V6, Manual Transmission, 95,000 miles, stock vehicle, no real 4 wheeling, just old mining roads, etc, original owner.

Oil/filter/lube every 5K miles, differential, etc. fluids changed every 30k miles, fuel filter replaced at 60k miles, new battery & spark plugs at 75K miles, shocks and struts replaced at 80k miles, timing belt & water pump replaced as PM at 85k miles, front rotors and pads replaced at 90k miles. Steering gear bushings scheduled to be replaced in near future.

Honestly, I would like to get another eight years/100,000 miles out of this truck. Possibly buying a small commuter car in another 1.5 to 2 yrs and just using the truck for camping and exploring, after that. Truck would still need to be super reliable for remote trips, etc., though.

What else should I be doing preventative maintenance wise to ensure that I get this much more time out of it. What big ticket maintenance items should I be planning/saving for?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and responding.

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Looks to me that you are doing a good job and covering all the bases.
    Also you seems to be treating it nice and easy. No mudding or jumping or dogging.
    Some guys here are at 300k and 400k on their first gens and going strong.

3. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:48 AM
    JadXtreme

JadXtreme Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Bladen County, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 green 4wd ext cab taco. v6 auto
    black headlights/park lights, black bumper, clear turn signals, black euro taillights, Sony cd player, 30 9.50s Federal all terrain tires on stock wheels
    My Toyota has not had nearly the PM that you've done to yours. But whenever it needed something, it got its service. Right now, my 98 V6 automatic 4wd has over 351K miles on it. It has had one water pump, 2 timing belts, one transmission service, and two sets of spark plugs ever. I change the oil with regular Valvoline 10w30 every 5-6K miles and put gas in it is about all I do to it now. I drive it over 100 miles daily and I ain't afraid to take it to California and back.

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Don't forget oil change in diffs and tranfer case. I did mine at 150k on my 96 T100 and switched all lubes including ATF to synthetic and 255k with no major problems. And don't forget to engage 4wd for a few miles on loose or slick surface every month or so.

Products Discussed in

To Top