Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Timing belt vs. chain

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Curyfury is on a distinguished road
Navy: Nuke
Curyfury's Tacoma Gallery
Timing belt vs. chain

Bought a used 1998 2.4L and from my understanding it has a timing chain. I'm new to cars with a timing chain, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about the timing chain as much as you do with a timing belt. After reading some threads, it sounds like new generation tacomas come with timing belts. Why is it that toyota went with a belt in the newer models when they seem to be higher maintenance?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curyfury View Post
Bought a used 1998 2.4L and from my understanding it has a timing chain. I'm new to cars with a timing chain, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about the timing chain as much as you do with a timing belt. After reading some threads, it sounds like new generation tacomas come with timing belts. Why is it that toyota went with a belt in the newer models when they seem to be higher maintenance?
I honestly couldn't tell you why they switched....

If I had to guess - Timing belts are quieter and they don't stretch as much. Chains can stretch and get sloppy/noisy. When they stretch - that causes more wear and tear on the sprockets they ride on (machine term).

I'm sure other people will add to this.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
I thought that they went back to chains on many vehicles. I know that my '03 corolla has a timing chain where as previous generation(s) had a belt.
I thought the same thing was true for the trucks; up through a certain year had a chain, then they switched to a belt, and then back to a chain. I think the chain was meant to last a lot longer than the belt but I might be wrong. My '91 had a chain and was due to be changed when I sold it a couple of months ago after 249K.
I don't recall a timing belt being mentioned in the owner's manual at any service interval?

Does anyone know which has which?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A timing belt is much quieter than a chain, and some new Toyota vehicles still use a belt. Toyota went back to useing a chain, as they dont have to be changed at a regular interval, and they have quieted the noise on them to a large degree. Problem with a belt, is that you cant tell when it will break, which is why they have to be changed regularly. A chain may stretch, but it is very unlikely it will break. With a chain, the biggest concern is it wearing thru the guide. You can tell if this has happened as it will make a sound like someone is inside the motor hitting it with a small hammer. The guide keeps a constant pressure on the chain, and when the guide wears down (its plastic), your vehicle may experience a power loss. The last chain I looked at was on a 2.4 with 139,000 miles, and it showed no sighn of stretching, and the guide was in great shape. Toyota engineers the chain for a 250,000 mile service life, though I have found that many are fine beyond that mileage.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Does anyone know which has which?
The 2.7 and the 4.0 use a chain. Belts are only used on some cars, anymore.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Thank god they quit using the belts on the new Tacoma's. Years ago parts and labor was about $300 for a timing belt job. Now, it's pushing $500. My wife's 98 4Runner with the 3.4L has the dreaded belt. Her vehicle currently has 156,000. Looks like I still have to deal with the cost on that vehicle.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
For me it's chain all the way, I'll put up with the noise to have the " no hassle "
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota's timing chain technology has sure come a long way since the old 3rc motor in the late 60's but ultimately I think it comes down to cost to own maintenance cost for the owner. The estimated cost for maintenance for a 2008 v6 is roughly $2100.00 over 5 years with out the cost of a timing belt replacement.