1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing belt vs. chain

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Curyfury, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Jul 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM
    Curyfury

Curyfury [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    Bought a used 1998 2.4L and from my understanding it has a timing chain. I'm new to cars with a timing chain, but it sounds like you don't have to worry about the timing chain as much as you do with a timing belt. After reading some threads, it sounds like new generation tacomas come with timing belts. Why is it that toyota went with a belt in the newer models when they seem to be higher maintenance?

2. Jul 16, 2008 at 4:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I honestly couldn't tell you why they switched....

If I had to guess - Timing belts are quieter and they don't stretch as much. Chains can stretch and get sloppy/noisy. When they stretch - that causes more wear and tear on the sprockets they ride on (machine term).

I'm sure other people will add to this.

3. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:27 AM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    I thought that they went back to chains on many vehicles. I know that my '03 corolla has a timing chain where as previous generation(s) had a belt.
    I thought the same thing was true for the trucks; up through a certain year had a chain, then they switched to a belt, and then back to a chain. I think the chain was meant to last a lot longer than the belt but I might be wrong. My '91 had a chain and was due to be changed when I sold it a couple of months ago after 249K.
    I don't recall a timing belt being mentioned in the owner's manual at any service interval?

Does anyone know which has which?

4. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A timing belt is much quieter than a chain, and some new Toyota vehicles still use a belt. Toyota went back to useing a chain, as they dont have to be changed at a regular interval, and they have quieted the noise on them to a large degree. Problem with a belt, is that you cant tell when it will break, which is why they have to be changed regularly. A chain may stretch, but it is very unlikely it will break. With a chain, the biggest concern is it wearing thru the guide. You can tell if this has happened as it will make a sound like someone is inside the motor hitting it with a small hammer. The guide keeps a constant pressure on the chain, and when the guide wears down (its plastic), your vehicle may experience a power loss. The last chain I looked at was on a 2.4 with 139,000 miles, and it showed no sighn of stretching, and the guide was in great shape. Toyota engineers the chain for a 250,000 mile service life, though I have found that many are fine beyond that mileage. :)

BassAckwards likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The 2.7 and the 4.0 use a chain. Belts are only used on some cars, anymore. :)

6. Jul 16, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Thank god they quit using the belts on the new Tacoma's. Years ago parts and labor was about $300 for a timing belt job. Now, it's pushing $500. My wife's 98 4Runner with the 3.4L has the dreaded belt. Her vehicle currently has 156,000. Looks like I still have to deal with the cost on that vehicle.

7. Jul 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    For me it's chain all the way, I'll put up with the noise to have the " no hassle "

8. Jul 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Toyota's timing chain technology has sure come a long way since the old 3rc motor in the late 60's :eek: but ultimately I think it comes down to cost to own maintenance cost for the owner. The estimated cost for maintenance for a 2008 v6 is roughly $2100.00 over 5 years with out the cost of a timing belt replacement.

Products Discussed in

To Top