Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

I need help disabling my driving performance monitor

Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I need help disabling my driving performance monitor

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of it.

It is called a Car Chip Pro. It is a chip that plugs into your ecu under the dash to monitor how fast you are going and stuff

How do I disable it?

Anything besides unplug it.

I'm 17. Take a guess why it is in there!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Say What?!
wjdunn3 is on a distinguished road
wjdunn3's Tacoma Gallery
TEEN DRIVER ALERT!

The only way to disable it is to unplug it....

But instead of trying to figure out how to disable it or get around it, drive like you have some sense and then you won't have to worry about....and you'll live longer.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
LOL.

I demand to know why this is on your vehicle. Mommy and Daddy?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It has been placed randomly on '07 and up Tacomas. The "little black box" records in a loop, for an undisclosed amount of time, speed, steering input, brake input, throttle position, etc. The NHTSA wants to have them in ALL vehicles by 2010. I havent looked into disabling mine........YET.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It has been placed randomly on '07 and up Tacomas. The "little black box" records in a loop, for an undisclosed amount of time, speed, steering input, brake input, throttle position, etc. The NHTSA wants to have them in ALL vehicles by 2010. I havent looked into disabling mine........YET.

wait....what? This is the first I've heard of that! Do you have a link or something with more info? I'm glad I have a 06 so they weren't doing that yet, but we plan on replacing my Corolla in a year or two....
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
altifron is on a distinguished road

altifron's Tacoma Gallery
how do you know if this is in your truck
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And they monitor this...how?

If they're monitoring this 'as I drive' from satellite reception or something - talk about an invasion of privacy somewhat.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
is this to be found on 2008's? And can my insurance company view this?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

If they're monitoring this 'as I drive' from satellite reception or something - talk about an invasion of privacy somewhat.
I'm guessing it has a little hard drive that records info for a certain amount of time and dumps it when its full or something.

Either way, the entire idea of this makes me mad as hell
Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Wtf!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This would be news to me I would like to hear more about this please go on.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:

Could just be like your ECU storing check engine light codes. I've heard about them wanting to do something like this to be able to find out what was going on, say, 30 seconds or so before an accident (hit the gas instead of brakes, traveling 55mph in a 30 zone, seat belts unbuckled, etc) Privacy advocates have been in an uproar over it. Sure, it could prove you tried to avoid an accident, but it could also prove reckless driving. Or just revealing your driving history/style is enough to upset people.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
wait....what? This is the first I've heard of that! Do you have a link or something with more info? I'm glad I have a 06 so they weren't doing that yet, but we plan on replacing my Corolla in a year or two....
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
This would be news to me I would like to hear more about this please go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Could just be like your ECU storing check engine light codes. I've heard about them wanting to do something like this to be able to find out what was going on, say, 30 seconds or so before an accident (hit the gas instead of brakes, traveling 55mph in a 30 zone, seat belts unbuckled, etc) Privacy advocates have been in an uproar over it. Sure, it could prove you tried to avoid an accident, but it could also prove reckless driving. Or just revealing your driving history/style is enough to upset people.
My Wifes Honda Accord (2006) has one installed, as does my Tacoma. Her Accoord came with a pahmplet about it. We threw it out. Evidently, there is some kind of Flash memory, and it records about 45 sec. in a contiuos loop. I have no other info on it, nor have I looked for it on my truck or her car, so it could be a scare tactic for all I know. BUT, as the OP has found one in his truck, I guess there is some validity to this.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #16

Ok. I dug up some info:
http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/in...blackbox_x.htm
http://autos.aol.com/article/general...16150109990001
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #17

Looks like ALL vehicles manufactured as of 2008 have these things.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info chris I found a thread already on here about about EDR event data recorder.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...black-box.html

Also some interesting info from priuschat.com
This mod states his words
11-21-2007,
The airbag sensor assembly monitors and control certain aspects of the vehicle. These computers assist in driving and maintaining optimal vehicle performance. Besides storing data useful for troubleshooting, there is a system to record data in a crash or a near car crash event. This is called the Event Data Recorder (EDR).
The airbag sensor assembly contains the EDR.

In a crash or a near car crash event, this device may record some or all of the following information:
 Engine speed
 Whether the brake pedal was applied or not
 Vehicle speed
 To what extent the accelerator pedal was depressed
 Position of the transmission selector lever
 Whether the driver and front passenger wore seat belts or not
 Driver’s seat position
 SRS airbag deployment data
 SRS airbag system diagnostic data

The information above is intended to be used for the purpose of improving vehicle safety performance.
Unlike general data recorders, the EDR does not record sound data such as conversation between passengers.

Toyota will not disclose the data recorded in an EDR to a third party except when:

An agreement from the vehicle’s owner (or the leasing company for a leased vehicle) is obtained
 Officially requested by the police or other authorities
 Used as a defense for Toyota in a law suit
 Ordered by the court

However, if necessary Toyota will:
 Use the data for research on Toyota vehicle safety performance
 Disclose the data to a third party for research purposes without disclosing details of the vehicle owner, and
only when it is deemed necessary
 Disclose summarized data cleared of vehicle identification information to a non-Toyota organization for
research purposes
Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #19
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
So does anyone know, can we unplug this/these from our Tacomas?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #20
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
So does anyone know, can we unplug this/these from our Tacomas?
doubtful as its mentioned to be in the airbag sensor

i honestly dont see the "issue" with these being on your vehicle...but maybe i just see the good more than the bad...its going to basically record everything you do right up to and during a collision...could save your butt in court