1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Latest oil change by dealer

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Jeff, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Apr 6, 2007 at 11:20 AM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Took my 06, 6sp, V6, to the dealer for a oil change today. Normally, will do it myself, but the weather in MA. is ugly and very un-spring like, plus the dealer had some kind of deal going on.
    For the MA. TW members I took it to Ira Toyota in Milford. Their shop has a good reputation from a friend of mine who is very fussy.
    Got the job done in less than 45min. Total cost $28.00 including tax and an extra filter, which I will use towards summer. They use dino oil and not syn. but told me if I wanted that they would do it for the added cost.
    They also gave me a discount of $6.15 off the total.
    Very pleasant experience, while I was there I spoke to a fellow co-worker who has a 07 4door TRD/auto. He has the same opinion of them.
    Thought I might pass this expierence along.

Jeff
    06,V6 , 6spd, acc cab, brilliant red

2. Apr 6, 2007 at 11:31 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    The dealer recommends every 5000 miles but I'm still in the every 3000 mile mindset. How often do you get it done?

3. Apr 6, 2007 at 1:04 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Bob, I had the first change done at 2400miles and todays was at 6000. My two toyota diehards do theirs every 3000, which to me is a bit to soon. They have TRD superchargers on their 04's and drive them harder than I and they have put Bilstein shocks on them and rear sway bars. However, my plan is to do it every 4000, well before the dealers recommended 5000. I do tow a boat but that only comes in at 1200lbs and will be no strain on my truck.
    I plan on using Toyota filters although I know others are at least as good, I think if there was any problems in the future the dealer would like the fact that I used OEM filter and a good brand of oil, which will be Castrol.
    By the way , this am I checked my oil it was fairly clean and had only gone down 1/4 of a quart and have been watching all fluids quite regularly.
    My two Toyota buddys do 95% of all maint including timing chains and on a few times had recalls on ball joints and A/C compressor problems.
    I also have another neighbor who has a 05, fourdoor, V6, auto who has 40,000 on hers and never had a problem. Which is good to know. Jeff

4. Apr 6, 2007 at 3:07 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    I'm with you tcBob, I do mine every 3000 or three months which ever comes first. The more you change it the cleaner the engine stays, and there is no need for that expensive engine flush that the dealers always tries to push.
    it's all about the fluids.....

5. Apr 7, 2007 at 3:28 AM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Just for discussion, last week in the Boston Globe(Sunday) auto section they discussed the 3000-6000 oil change ideas. Two of the people discussing it were from oil companys and they mentioned that the quality of the oil these days (vs 25yrs ago) is far better and in general they thought that oil changes could be extended beyond the 3-5K depending on driving.
    Just food for thought, I personally would not go beyond manufacturers spec's.
    It was interesting reading. Perhaps that is available on line

6. Apr 7, 2007 at 10:46 AM
    kaszeta

kaszeta Well-Known Member

Member:
    http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2007/04/01/carmakers_increase_oil_change_intervals/ is the article.

It's been a long time since I've had a vehicle with a recommended interval of 3000. My Subaru was 7500. My MINI usually wants new oil every 11,000 (but it's synthetic). I usually do it around 5000 miles. I find that the decision on an oil-change interval is partly factual, and partly religious... :)

On the other end, my 1970 K5 Blazer burnt a quart every 500 miles, which sounds horrible until you realize that it burnt a quart every 1000 when it was brand spankin new. You never were really changing the oil, you were changing the filter....

7. Apr 8, 2007 at 6:37 AM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    ok you got me, mine is probably more religious, filter,oil & lube every 3000 or 3 months...old school.

8. Apr 8, 2007 at 6:50 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Well... My acura TL went 6000 miles before I changed the oil in it. I drove it about 150,000 miles before I traded for my taco... NEVER had any trouble out of the car. It was a great car even when I traded, would have kept it but didnt' have room in the drive way for it...
    So I'll do the 5000 mile change on my taco just like Toyota recommends... Why would my dealership give me a lifetime powertrain warranty on my truck and recommend changing the oil every 5000 if that was going to hurt the vehicle in any way? Don't think they would...
    But thats my 2 cents worth.. Plus sometimes we make a bigger deal out of things than we should. We should just sit back and enjoy our tacos and not worry so much... lol Yeah right!

9. Apr 8, 2007 at 6:52 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Corey, I nominate you as our Tacoma World Reality Check Expert! ;)

You always seem to have your head on straight!

Cheers! :D

10. Apr 8, 2007 at 6:55 AM
    coreyredken

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Thank you 007! I accept the nomination!
    Happy Easter!

11. Apr 8, 2007 at 8:03 AM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    I will second 07Tacoma's motion fo coreyredken as TW's Reality Check Expert.

Of course oil changes are up to individuals as it makes them feel good about their vehicle and doing everything they can to keep it nice. Just a bit of confidence.
    Most of the local mechanics I know of always suggest doing it before the recommended mileage points. GM's computer evaluates the owners driving style and mileage and then it pops up on the info bars.
    Heavy towing and such always requires frequent changes.
    Great comments from everyone.
    Jeff
    06,6spd, V6 4x4, acc cab, bone stock

12. Apr 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM
    BlueThunder

BlueThunder Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    4X4, SR5, TRD, Indigo
    Sway-a-Way Coilovers, SnugTop SL, Westin Nurf Bars, IPod
    Hey Guys

Just a heads up. I just got off the phone with Toyota. For warranty purposes you want a business to do the maintenance so that you can show them that youyr keeping up on the maintenance. I'm begining to wish I didn't buy the extended warranty.

13. Apr 10, 2007 at 5:13 PM
    coreyredken

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    I didnt' buy the extended warranty... just the standard 3 yr or 36k. But when I bought my truck the dealership was doing a free lifetime powertrain warrannty for as long as I own my truck and free oil changes and maintance up to 45,000 miles.. Woohoo

14. Apr 10, 2007 at 6:42 PM
    scatdady

scatdady New Member

Member:
    I change my oil every 3000mi to 3500mi I used the cheapest oil I could find and filter . I got 540,000 mi out of my 95 4x4 auto 4cyl it never used any oil in between changes.Same with my 2000 4cyl with 300000+on it.

15. Apr 11, 2007 at 4:46 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah, but how did your seats hold up??? :rolleyes:

16. Apr 11, 2007 at 7:56 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    If you want to do it yourself just keep the receipts from your oil purchase and keep a log of the mileage you did it at and they will still honor your warranty, at least they will here in TX.

17. Apr 11, 2007 at 8:59 AM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    I am sure Toyota would like to see receipts from a regular garage if you choose to use that type of facilty over a dealer. However, my two friends who have very long term Taco's , keep the receipts from the oil purchase( like mentioned by TRDiety) and filter also. One of them takes the top off the oil filter carton as a record and logs the mileage and date on that also.

Jeff
    06,6spd, 4x4, acc cab

18. Apr 12, 2007 at 2:51 AM
    scatdady

scatdady New Member

Member:
    the seats did not hold up I make about 40 stops a day and set in it for about 10 to 12 hr a day. 007 you got it down.wind sheilds get sand basted too.

19. Apr 12, 2007 at 3:17 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brother has owned a station and been working on cars for the last 40 years. This has been one of our conversations while I've watched him work on other peoples cars. It comes down to driving habits and every once in a while pulling the dip stick, look, feel and smell of the oil. I probably will never get the smell down to the level he has it, but he can pretty much look at the vehicle, listen to the engine and combined tell you how hard it has been run, and how well its been taken care of. If your not excessive in abuse (stop and go traffic daily, hauling loads) you could get away with 5000 miles without any problems with todays oil. I've head him describe oil coming out of a vehicle looking like slurry, way slow and thick. Ridden way too hard and way too long. BTW, I got a card from the dealer when I picked mine up....$17.00 oil changes for the life of the vehicle, plus a 20% discount on parts from the dealer. Something about a Preferred Buyer. Never heard of it, must be local.

20. Apr 12, 2007 at 5:00 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Must be nice! My dealer is in Houston (on the other side of town from where I have a house). Plus, now I live in San Antonio. Granted, I live less than a mile from a dealership that does my oil changes for now, but they didn't sell me my truck (= no extra benefits).

:(

Products Discussed in

To Top